We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alpines on my Scottish holiday route?  (Read 1805 times)

breconeer

Alpines on my Scottish holiday route?
« on: July 14, 2007, 05:14:57 PM »
Where are the Muzzenby Mists?

I've toured Scotland about a dozen times in the past - heading mainly to the north. On one such trip I called in at the alpines area at Edinburgh's Botanic Garden. I shall look in there again on this next trip. But can someone suggest about half a dozen  "musn't-be-missed"  displays of alpines and/or rock plants that are worth a minor detour or which fall within my likely route? Either gardens or nurseries.

Some parts of this 3,4 (or possibly 5) week trip are already pencilled in or inked in.

Myself and my good woman will be driving 300 miles from Carmarthen on about September 6th, staying overnight somewhere in the Scottish borders (maybe around Hawick) and on to Edinburgh next day. Whenever the weather seems friendly we'll be camping - so that will have some bearing on which route we take. After a couple of days in Edinburgh we'll be cutting across through Inverness then up the coast to Helmsdale and across from there to Bettyhill on the north coast. Bettyhill is the end of our fairly brisk 'outward leg' after which we'll be dawdling at a more leisurely rate down the west side, staying 1-4 days in some places. Scourie is one place we'll be stopping. We'll also be taking the coast road from Torridon to Applecross then turning inland over the hill to Lochcarron, Dornie, Invergarry. Thereafter our route will depend on how many more days or weeks we decide on at the time. The big chunks of Scotland that we are bypassing this time include areas we've visited before, and which will we will go to again on future trips.

So. Any suggestions please? Alpines and rock plants specifically.

John  :) 

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 12:10:56 AM by breconeer »
Any garden which is more of a chore than a pleasure, needs redesigning!

breconeer

Re: Alpines on my Scottish holiday route?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:14:46 AM »

Part of that alpines area at RBG Edinburgh

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 08:59:11 AM »
Well, 'Breconeer', driving from Edinburgh to Inverness on the A9 you will pass some of our best.
Firstly is the National Trust for Scotland garden, Branklyn, in Perth then, a few miles further north take a left turn at Ballinluig to go to Cluny Garden near to Aberfeldy.
Back on the A9 the next stop will be the Scottish Explorers Garden by the Pitlochry thearter. These three are purely alpine/woodland type gardens that will meet your specifications.
In Inverness you could visit Jim Sutherland at Ardfearn Nursery. Jim always likes to chat to an enthusiast.
Going west? Then include Inverewe Garden, another National Trust property to the south of Ullapool has an alpine garden along with species from ore moderate climates.
Hope this helps for a starter.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

breconeer

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 10:44:24 AM »
Thank you David. Much appreciated. I have begun marking my route map with assorted dots..

The last time I visited Inverewe (long long ago), my then partner - despite maximum protection - found the midges unbearable and we had to make a premature retreat before seeing all that I wanted to see. My current partner is also somewhat more susceptible than I am - but this time I shall if necessary leave her locked in the car  :o   

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal