We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione seeds for fine-tuning IV recipes  (Read 1782 times)

fred

• Terrorchid
Pleione seeds for fine-tuning IV recipes
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »
Hello All,

It's quite impolite to ask for something on a first post, my apologies.

I belong to a different forum which focuses on terrestrial orchids - Pleione belongs to this subclass of
orchid culture. Strangely enough during the course of history this genus has been embraced by Alpine
& Rock gardeners because they match a lot of the niches you create. It's only relatively recently that these
species have found their way to orchid enthusiasts like us.

I'm looking for seeds of Pleione hybrids and easy species to do 2 things:
- symbiotic "ad-hoc" germination on bark to isolate symbiotic fungi that germinate these seeds
- fine-tune a number of candidate asymbiotic in vitro recipees

I'm not looking for seeds of prize-pedigree plants, my main problem is obtaining fresh seeds, preferably
still in an immature capsule. I'd like to ask if there are people here that would like to (self-) pollinate
a few of their flowers to help me with this. In return I can share the results, especially the symbiotic
technique is accessible to beginners (and low-budget).

I live in Belgium, if there are people from Flanders I'd be happy to get in touch with you.

thanks for considering,
Frederick
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:35:22 PM by Maggi Young »

Dave704

Re: Pleione seeds for fine-tuning IV recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
I too am interested in terrestrial orchids.  If I was able to keep Pleione increasing I would be happy to help you; unfortunately all the ones I bought keep getting smaller and I only had 2 blooms last spring.  I live in Charlotte, NC USA AG zone 7.  I need all the help with these I can get.  The Head of the Hort dept at UNCC says he has no luck with them.  I got the same response from a local orchid grower.

I have Belitillla seed pods now, and have had some Cymbidium sp pods in the past.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
Hello Dave, welcome to the forum.

There are some really talented pleione growers around here who may be able to give you just the advice you need to  get them growing  for you in North Carolina.... hope you'll hear from them soon..... ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:59:29 PM »
Hello Dave,

your could take a look at my website http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/cultivation%20-%20pleiones.htm which has detailed instructions about growing pleiones. Compare your situation with that described. Once you find the differences e.g. temperature, watering etc., you will be able to adjust your culture. :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
Hello Fred,

I'll be quite happy to send you a seed pod or two. Just remind me later in the year, if you are still interested. :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal