Bulbs > NARCISSUS

Narcissus rooting now

(1/5) > >>

mark smyth:
Out of interest how does the Bulb Master explain this? I was knocking bulbs out today to get some chipped and found this Narcissus Cedric Morris. No others had roots

Lesley Cox:
No doubt the Bulb Master will have a good explanation Mark but from this end of the world, I'd suggest it's simply because `Cedric Morris' is very early compared with other trumpets. It flowers here May-June (Nov-Dec for you) so stands to reason it will root early too, especially if you've had it anywhere where it was getting some moisture rather than bone dry. Narcissus will start to root with even a little fog in the air, as distinct from rain or watering.

Likewise, the early frits and juno irises root very early - just when I'm about to start to repot them - if there's even a suggestion of dampness in the air.

mark smyth:
looks like Ian is ignoring me  :'(

Ian Y:
Ingnore you Mark?
How could I. ::)
I have just been busy re-potting with occasional breaks to watch Le Tour.
But today it is pouring down with rain so I am at the PC for a while writing the Bulb Log.
Lesley has given the answer it is all to do with moisture.
Many bulbs will produce roots at any time if moisture is present and especially some Narcissus may never be fully dormant if moisture is around.
You have also been having very hot weather in Ireland and the bulbs will think they have had their summer so if the temperature falls and there is moisture they think it is autumn.
I am also finding odd roots on the narcissus where the pots have not dried out completely.

mark smyth:
so I have to keep this one moist until the autumn?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version