We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus emerging  (Read 1261 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Calochortus emerging
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »
A bit of advice if anyone can help...

I have got hold of a few Calochortus this year, and started watering most of them in September (a bit early, I know now). One of them (C. fimbriatus aka C. weedii var. vestus) has sent up a shoot - thin but healthy-looking. This seems highly unseasonal, perhaps if I had held off the watering for longer....nonetheless, now it's started, does anyone have any advice for managing these early starts? My default plan was just to keep watering and hope for an extra long growing season!

Cheers,

Alex

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Calochortus emerging
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:21:58 AM »
That's probably best Alex, being careful not to OVER water, but judging from your junos, frits etc, I'd say you have everything under control. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Darren

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:15:16 AM »
Hi Alex,

I know the usual advice is to withold water until later but I've been starting mine in early september with my other bulbs for years now without any trouble. They do pop up early (my albus, amabilis and obispoensis have been visible since late september, simulans, tolmei and luteus just appearing now) but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I agree with Lesley - you grow frits and junos far better than I can and I promise that Calochortus are mostly much easier!

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
Very many bulbs in cultivation once "tamed" decide to sprout far earlier than "normal". Some of them (Cape) having a very long season of growth.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:52:40 PM »
Thank you all for this very helpful advice.

As far as the Junos etc. go, you know I only show the good ones! A lot of the rest is distinctly unimpressive....

angie

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »
Hi Alex,
They do pop up early (my albus, amabilis and obispoensis have been visible since late september, simulans, tolmei and luteus just appearing now) but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I agree with Lesley - you grow frits and junos far better than I can and I promise that Calochortus are mostly much easier!

Darren we will be seeing some lovely flowers from you soon, looking forward to this.

Angie :) :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Darren

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »
Not sure I've ever actually posted on a Calochortus thread Angie. I don't grow many (the list above is pretty much it these days). I find some very easy (amabilis) and some, which are supposed to be easy, rather more difficult (luteus).
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

angie

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 08:59:48 AM »
Not sure I've ever actually posted on a Calochortus thread Angie. I don't grow many (the list above is pretty much it these days). I find some very easy (amabilis) and some, which are supposed to be easy, rather more difficult (luteus).

For sure I need to start with the easiest, but that's not always the way with me. The things that I really want are probally the most difficult. This is what I like about this forum I think to myself if the experts struggle what hope do I have so I won't buy the plant.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal