We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: ARISAEMA SEEDS WANTED  (Read 8247 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: ARISAEMA SEEDS WANTED
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 06:20:35 PM »
Hi All

I am sure all the arisaema fans have already got it - but wanted to mention that the book 'Aroids' by 'Deni Brown' 'second edition' is fantastic.  Loads of extra pics that the first edition didn't have.  And not just arisaema - loads of other interesting plants (including one of my favorites, the alocacia  -  another one that wouldn't fit on a rockery - sorry!...) and lots of well recognised, but unusual, 'house plants'.

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

jim divers

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 09:48:25 AM »
Hi Dan and Ellen,
The bulbs received yesterday were in excellent condition, full sized and healthy. I agree that shipping can be expensive but with the dollar at almost two to the pound it is cheap just now. I got 33 Arisaema for £90 including carriage. I usually purchase 3 of each so that I can try a couple outside in different places and one in a pot. For a complete listing see the web site but I got bathycoleum, lingyunense, yunnanensis, handelii, inkiaiangense, prazeri and some unnamed species where the descriptions appealed eg red leaf, black flower etc.

I  also heard that they could be misnamed but am less bothered about that. The opportunity to introduce different clones into what is rapidly becoming an obsessives collection, outweighs, in my opinion, any possible disappointment at something being misnamed. I have also experienced this from UK sources when paying considerably more than £3. To me it is well worth the expense and risk to accelerate the process and have flowering plants this coming year rather than waiting for the seed process to achieve the same ends. Hopefully they will also set seed in due course.
Regards,
Jim

ellenndan

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 04:43:11 PM »
Hi Jim
I they all sound good to me, I would love to know if they set seed.

Gene Mirro

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 04:45:29 PM »
If you would like to improve seed production on your Arisaemas, try hand pollination.  I posted a message about hand pollination of Arisaema here:  http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=100.0
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

ellenndan

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »
Hi there just wondering if anyone has any Arisaema heterophyllum seeds for sale or swap. I cant find them on any seed lists.
Thanks Ellen and Dan

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 07:35:51 PM »
No seed yet but I have Arisaema heterophyllum from AEG seed and expect by their size this year that some will flower next. AEG of course, is Arisaema Enthusiasts' Group.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ellenndan

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 09:05:07 PM »
Hi Lesley
 I have joined the AEG this autumn and cant wait for the seed exchange.
Ellen and dan

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 10:36:47 PM »
It's a long time ago since this thread was active but I'm putting a brief note here because it's relevant. Someone may see it.

Without realizing it, I posted a few minutes ago in a thread about Iris seed. Mistake as it was about Arisaema nepenthoides seed which I have fresh now if anyone would like some. If so please PM me with your postal address. No need for postage. Seed quality is excellent.

edit by maggi - see the post  Lesley's refers to  here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15174.0
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:19:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal