We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: ARISAEMA SEEDS WANTED  (Read 8272 times)

ellenndan

ARISAEMA SEEDS WANTED
« on: November 26, 2006, 03:03:28 PM »
Hi there
 Has anyone got any different Arisaema seeds they want to swap or sell?

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: ARISAEMA SEEDS WANTED
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:27:51 AM »
Hi Ellen

not sure which ones you would class as different.  I only grow a couple of the common taller ones for added height and interest in a border.  Tortuosum set seed this year and I could send some of that possibly (I have already sown it in a large pot so if it has started sprouting it could be tricky - though I suppose I could just scoop some of the seed and compost up together and send both).

Are you interested?  Where are you - your profile doesn't give any clue to your location so not sure if I would be allowed to send soil.

regards

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

ellenndan

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 06:14:24 PM »
Thanks for replying. I already have Tortuosum.
many thanks

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 11:03:41 AM »
I have seed starting to set on some of my Arisaemas (just the earlier types as yet, given we're still in solid bloom for many species, and things like candidissimum still to flower here), but no idea whether you're northern of southern hemisphere and so whether you're wanting seed from down south or not?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:07:21 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ellenndan

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 08:26:57 PM »
Hi there Paul
 Im from the uk, i would love to know what Arisaemas you have that are setting seed.
 Thanks dan

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 11:26:20 PM »
Dan,

I'll wait a little longer just to be sure.... no use getting your hopes up, only to dash them later! <grin>  I find that some of them appear to be setting seed but then it aborts.  There are also plenty more to flower for me yet so there could easily be others to come.  At least I know with the UK there isn't any problem getting seed or even tubers to you from here, so it'll be easy to share with you.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ellenndan

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 10:06:50 AM »
Hi Paul
 Thanks for getting back, cant wait to here what you have got.
Thanks Dan

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 11:26:14 AM »
Dan,

Do you already grow Arisaema candidissimum?  It is the Arisaema which has flowers which are striped in white and candy pink.  It grows very well here and although it doesn't set seed for me it offsets very well and I could definitely easily send you a tuber or two. 
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ellenndan

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 02:29:09 PM »
Hi paul
 Yeah i already grow A. candidissimum. What other Arisaemas do you grow.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 12:53:31 AM »

Hmmmm....  What other Arisaemas do I grow..... that will take some remembering. ;D

ringens, tortuosum, triphyllum (a couple of different forms), consanguineum, taiwanenese, bogneri, fargesii, speciosum, dracontium, flavum, jacquemontii off the top of my head, but there are many more I have grown from seed, and probably a few others that I have forgotten that I purchased as plants.  I also grow Pinellias, Arums, Amorphophallus, Dracunculus, Biarum, Typhonium and Arisarum within the Aroid genera, plus a couple of others that I've forgotten.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ellenndan

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 07:04:30 PM »
Hi Paul
I grow all the Arisaemas you grow except taiwanenese, fargesii and bogneri (which i have never seen, will have to have a look on the internet)
I also grow a few Pinellias.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 12:47:56 AM »
Dan,

I forgot sikokianum as well.  I knew there was at least one more that I had forgotten on my list.  I'll see if I can dig up pics of fargesii and bogneri amongst my pics.  One or the other at least has a bud on it now (didn't check the pot to see which) so there should be pics soon anyway.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ellenndan

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 01:36:31 PM »
Hi paul
 I dont grow sikokianum from seed as i have not been able to get my hands on any. I do have a few small tublets that i bought but i bought them in there dorment stage so i am still waiting for them to leaf up.

jim divers

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 04:24:41 PM »
I have just received a delivery of Arisaema corms? bulbs or whatever from Chen Yi in the Peoples Republic of China. I ordered over the net two weeks ago and they arrived today. I ordered 13 species from her list  and received 11 many others are also sold out. One big advantage for me is that they are mature bulbs rather than seed and are very competitively priced when compared to UK sourced bulbs, even taking freight into account. Condition of the package was excellent and came with proper phytosanitary certificate. I hope I have copied the web address OK otherwise a search brings it up. I hope this is of interest.

http://home.no.net/chenyi

ellenndan

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 05:31:35 PM »
Hi Jim
 I have looked at chen yi before but thought the shipping was a bit expensive and have also heard that the plants are mis labeled. They do have a great choice of Arisaema and Paris with some unusual plants. I would love to know what plants you got.
Many thanks Dan and Ellen

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal