We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 22959 times)

angie

Re: September 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2010, 09:55:07 PM »
Lovely Primula sp. Wouldn't  mind that growing in my garden 8)
Nice group photo,  everyone looks great.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2010, 01:06:07 AM »
No problemo, Angie.  I'll try to upload some more tonight, but I don't finish work until 7pm so it might not end up happening. ::)

Glad you enjoyed them.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2010, 02:29:01 AM »
Enjoyed them too Paul.
It really is instructive for me to see what others are doing in their gardens. Many thanks.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
very nice! how large is this plant (height in particular)
 i'm, always intrigued by this genus, (being a long time fan of cousins aloe, haworthia, gasteria) especially the succulent species..the larger less succulent species seem to be more usually available...

Cohan, our plant is approx.12 inches (30 cm.) in height and can spread up to 3 feet.
Uses and cultural aspects:Bulbine frutescens is often used in landscaping where a drought-resistant, tough groundcover is required. It also has its value in the home garden.
The fresh leaf produces a jelly-like juice that is wonderful for burns, rashes, blisters, insect bites, cracked lips, acne, cold sores, mouth ulcers and areas of cracked skin. This plant is ideal to grow and is a useful first-aid remedy for childrens' daily knocks and scrapes. The Rastafarians make an infusion of a few fresh leaves in a cup of boiling water. The strained drink is taken for coughs, colds and arthritis.

Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »
No problemo, Angie.  I'll try to upload some more tonight, but I don't finish work until 7pm so it might not end up happening. ::)

Glad you enjoyed them.

Angie,

I didn't end up finishing work until 8:30pm, so I definitely won't be making a big push to upload the pics tonight.  I'm pooped!  ::)

Bill,

How does the Bulbine handle frost?  If it is so good for cuts and burns etc, and it were frost hardy, then it might be a good alternative to Aloe Vera in colder climates?  Or is it tender as well?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
very nice! how large is this plant (height in particular)
 i'm, always intrigued by this genus, (being a long time fan of cousins aloe, haworthia, gasteria) especially the succulent species..the larger less succulent species seem to be more usually available...

Cohan, our plant is approx.12 inches (30 cm.) in height and can spread up to 3 feet.
Uses and cultural aspects:Bulbine frutescens is often used in landscaping where a drought-resistant, tough groundcover is required. It also has its value in the home garden.
The fresh leaf produces a jelly-like juice that is wonderful for burns, rashes, blisters, insect bites, cracked lips, acne, cold sores, mouth ulcers and areas of cracked skin. This plant is ideal to grow and is a useful first-aid remedy for childrens' daily knocks and scrapes. The Rastafarians make an infusion of a few fresh leaves in a cup of boiling water. The strained drink is taken for coughs, colds and arthritis.

thanks for the details, bill..interesting about the medicinal uses...similar to some aloes.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
Angie, the Primula is from the Petiolaris group and if anywhere at all, you should be able to find it - and grow it - in Scotland. There seems to be some puzzlement about its ID and it is likely to be a hybrid involving, perhaps, PP. scapigera and/or bracteosa. There was one available in NZ some years ago when Jim LeComte was alive, called 'Scapeosa' between the two but whether this is it I don't know. It is very stoloniferous as the picture shows. Any UK thoughts would be welcome. It grows extremely well too, in the Blue Mountains gardens of NSW in Australia.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:10:40 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal