We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 26939 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »
John, Clematis 'Sweet Heart' is a NZ hynrid with C. paniculata in its make up and I would guess one of the greener species. As your picture shows, it has a nice scrambling habit rather than a climber. I rather think it should be 'Sweet Hart' for Jenny Hart whose garden it came from (I think) but anyone not knowing that would automatically use Heart. It is quite like the x Cartmanii 'Joe' clematis which flooded Europe some time ago.

Mine is also a hybrid but between green flowered species, and in fact is a seedling of a seedling and I'd be hard pressed to name its original parents now. It too is a scrambler, or even quite flat-growing unless held up as this one is.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
Re: October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2010, 02:55:34 AM »
Thanks for that info Lesley. I seem to be correcting a number of names lately. But it adds to the enjoyment to know the provenance.

Sweet Hart is my wife's favorite clematis and it always provides a great show.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal