We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lullingstone Castle and the World Garden of Plants  (Read 1279 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Lullingstone Castle and the World Garden of Plants
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:57:13 AM »
The weather is getting autumnal and our break a couple of weeks ago, in beautiful sunny weather, seems like months.  The second garden we visited was at Lullingstone Castle, Kent one of the oldest family estates in England.  The Hart Dyke family opened their house and garden to us on a super day and here are just a few impressions.  You may have heard of Tom from two television programmes about saving the Castle, or from his writing such as "The Cloud Garden".  There are links on the site to videos of his trips too..http://www.lullingstonecastle.co.uk/media-videonation.html

The entrance to the World Garden of Plants is through a Moon Gate into the 18th century Walled Garden, the first picture is of the loquacious Tom telling how the idea first came to him in 2000 in the middle of the Colombian jungle after three months of his being kidnapped!  The garden first opened to the public in 2005 and is starting to look really quite good.

The idea is that the plants are situated in their land of origin surrounded by stone which would be found in that area.  Th picture of Mexico gives an impression of this.  The garden is set our vaguely geographically, with British areas by the entrance and use is made of the south facing wall as home to Australasian species, quite clever really.

The beds are very full but well labelled here are South American plants including the red Zinnia tenuifolia and Verbena bonariensis.  I should have taken more note of what was in the planting, I think pic LWOP6 is of the Canaries.

There are a couple of polytunnels allowing protection from the winter wet.There is a good display of Cacti and succulents in the Hot and Spikey house from South America, South Africa, Mexico, South West USA & the Canary Islands - again arranged in areas. The painted background to the South American Bed is very effective in real life, and I particularly liked the 'planting' of the air plants ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Lullingstone Castle and the World Garden of Plants
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
I really like these Kalanchoe buhariensis in Kalanchoe corner!
The garden has one or two unusual sculptures including this Baobob made from 51km of wire.
A young Tetrapanax and Equisetum in 'Asia'
and lastly one for John Weagle, Chris sends her best wishes, tiptoeing through the Gaura.

The Church and House are well worth a visit - the Church in particular was quite unspoilt.  There is also a flavour of Tom's enthusiasm on the website through his Blog
http://www.lullingstonecastle.co.uk/tom-hart-dykes-blog.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:07:33 AM by Brian Ellis »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
If I remember correctly, T H-D was the chap who wrote a book and had a TV series about his travels to find a new species of orchid which he wanted to be able to name for his inspirational Grandmother........ ???

Yup, I think that's right... he was kidnapped and held for 9 months with a companion on one orchid hunting trip as well, it seems!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/orchid/about.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:43:00 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:57 AM »
Yes you are absolutely right Maggi, sadly Granny died the week before our visit and the funeral service was in the beautiful, unspoilt church.  He will miss her inspiration I am sure, she was 90+ and maintained her own bit of the gardens, lived in the other half of the Gatehouse to Tom.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »
Brian,

Great garden.  I love the Baobab tree sculpture. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »
Cheers Paul, there were some interesting modern sculptures dotted about.  Tom Hart Dyke is a really good plantsman.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal