We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Acidanthera  (Read 2197 times)

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
Acidanthera
« on: September 25, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »
I planted acidanthera bulbs last year and they flowered very well. I lifted and stored them for the winter and they have grown well again this year but without flowering.
Does anyone else have experience with these bulbs and can tell me if this is usual or not.
Thanks,
Len
Surrey, B.C. Canada

partisangardener

• Luther Art
Re: Acidanthera
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »
I had the experience, when stored cold frostfree they rarely bloomed and started late. After I stored them  at about 15 to 20 C° dry in the pot (re potted early spring) they started more early. They also need a lot of feeding while they are growing.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 06:51:26 PM »
I have had the same experience Len  ??? they rarely flower the second year so I buy new bulbs each year because they are not expensive  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »
I don't lift mine and they flower well each year, I have had them for around five years. By the way they are now Gladiolus murielae
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
Thanks, everyone. That is helpful.
Len
Surrey, B.C. Canada

Ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »
It has a very long season of growth and flowers late in the season, when other gladioli are fattening for the winter.

Here, in our mild cimate do better with afternoon shade. They are mountain plants and like it cool. They also do best when not lifted for the winter. There must be something to do with the perennial roots.

Incidentally, it will be found under Gladiolus callianthus.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
Thank you Ezeiza, they are this year in pot and I'll leave them so potted in a frost free garage for winter. Let and see for next year  :D
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

brianw

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 05:49:21 PM »
Gladiolus murielae
Thought I would resurrect this thread David. If you are still growing them without lifting you must have enough to cover half of Devon ;-)
I tried replanting my last years bulbs, after removing all the "spore" and only got 1 flower stem before the frosts. Another dozen or so were just about to flower when they got cut of by the frost last week. The numerous small offsets planted separately grew quite large leaves eventually but I have not looked to see how large the resultant bulbs are.
Is the secret a mild climate and a long growing season to keep them flowering? Newly bought bulbs seem to flower all right for me, just not those I keep.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 06:59:30 PM »
Funny you should raise this today Brian, I've just treated them to their annual sulphate of potash treat.

They are still doing very well indeed. A couple of years ago I dug up about half the patch and got rid of some of the older bulbs and re-planted the offsets, and maybe I'll do the same to the other half next year. They do seem to like it here.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal