We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Plunge beds  (Read 13245 times)

angie

Re: Plunge beds
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »
Maggi I never showed a picture of the other side of the polytunnel, it's like a bomb has went off.

Fermi Looking forward to you coming, accommodation here if needed, but no cooked breakfast, I burn everything. Can't cook, won't cook ::) there is always porridge  ;D  hope you will have the time to visit my friends garden, Bill and Helen are SRGC members and i was down yesterday and there garden was looking really good, well worth a visit, plan it for lunch time as Helen is a good cook. I can't wait to next April to meet everyone.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 09:25:02 AM »
Well done Angie, nice job.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »
Looks fantastic Angie and I'm pleased to see the tea mug at the ready under the staging - for visiting forum members....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Darren

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »
Angie, your greenhouse and tunnel look fantastic!

Not to mention soooooo much tidier than mine  ;D
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Darren

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
This is a really useful thread. I'm considering replacing the original slatted wooden staging in our greenhouse because I'm short on space and I can't put a great number of pots on this staging due to weight. My main decision is whether to use plunges or not. Many of my plants are grown in plastic pots which are quite happy standing on a gravel tray, but I have increasingly come to the view that some of my bulbs really don't like to be in very damp compost at any time, and plunged clay pots would suit them better. Maybe half & half (plunge and normal staging) is the way to go.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
That's an incredibly neat greenhouse Angie, puts mine to shame ::). Oh to have the space....

It looks to be a better idea using aluminium plunges on a timber frame than my construction of exterior grade plywood plunges sitting on top of brick pillars. They are incredibly heavy to manoeuvre into the greenhouse fully assembled and my brickwork for the pillars leaves a lot to be desired. If I ever have to start again due to moving house, I'll know what to do now!
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Ezeiza

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
Angie, the frog is perfectly visible in the Echeveria pot.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 04:23:54 PM »
This is a really useful thread. I'm considering replacing the original slatted wooden staging in our greenhouse because I'm short on space and I can't put a great number of pots on this staging due to weight. My main decision is whether to use plunges or not. Many of my plants are grown in plastic pots which are quite happy standing on a gravel tray, but I have increasingly come to the view that some of my bulbs really don't like to be in very damp compost at any time, and plunged clay pots would suit them better. Maybe half & half (plunge and normal staging) is the way to go.

Like you Darren most of my plants are in square plastic pots (apart from my Cyclamen for which I've used clays this year) and if they are happy you have the added advantage of being able to cram so much more in there. You would probably have to face the problem of what not to grow!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martinr

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 04:41:10 PM »
Magic Angie and I couldn't see any pools of blood from skinned knuckles either :) :)

angie

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 06:20:56 PM »
Magic Angie and I couldn't see any pools of blood from skinned knuckles either :) :)

No Martin I cleaned it all up, mine were all right as I was just supervising and drinking coffee out of my SRGC mug, it's the most used item in my greenhouse.

Darren and Hans  did you notice all my lovey plants. ;D ;D

I was at Ian Young's today and he has square pots in his plunges, you certainly get more in. I haven't got to many plants  YET to worry about space.

Thanks again everyone for the help, advice and plants, I am so lucky to have met so many great people on this forum. I would hate to be without my computer now. Hope to meet you all at Alpines 2011

Angie T.

Darren

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
I did notice some Massonia, yes Angie!

David, most of my Cyclamen are in clays too - plunged in a fishbox under the bench. I do have a plunge in the other half of the greenhouse (it houses Massonias etc, and central asian Anemone). I also have a plunge bed which is simply set up with a few cm of sand in the bottom and has deep plastic pots just standing in it. These are full and I'm very aware of all those germinating pots of bulb seed which are going to need a home...

Graham Catlow

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »
Angie,
Everytime you show us another part of your garden I feel the need to visit. You have a wonderful greenhouse and some great looking plants. I think you are too modest in some of your postings.

I see there is a mug in the greenhouse - do you keep a kettle and some tea in there also. ;)

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Roma

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
Your greenhouse and tunnel look wonderful, Angie.  So much tidier than my overcrowded greenhouse.  I've been thinking about buying plunge benches for my greenhouse but the thought of moving everything out and back in again puts me off. 
I will be over to see your garden and greenhouse as soon as I am able to drive again even though it will be the middle of winter.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »
Many congratulations Angie : a wonderful achievement !
Happy growing !!!  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

angie

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »

I see there is a mug in the greenhouse - do you keep a kettle and some tea in there also. ;)

Graham

Don't tell everyone there is also chocolate biscuits as well.

Roma you and others have said how tidy my greenhouse is the reason is I haven't reached the stage that all you folks have. I have to hurry and find more plants that I get to the stage of overcrowding  ::) ;D this I can't wait for.
Hope to see you soon Roma.

Angie T.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal