We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The annual Herculean task  (Read 3006 times)

Ezeiza

Re: The annual Herculean task
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:01:05 AM »
Gerry, we maintain the collection in excellent condition by regular FOLIAR feeding in very minute doses twice a month. And this implies many bulbs: 800 20 litre containers.

Ditto, we do not repot until the plants are obviously too crammed in the pots. When they are too crowded the rate of fungus problems soars like a rocket. This is probably because the bulbs/corms, etc. get too close to the containers walls and receive too much warmth.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

vivienr

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »
I am so behind with everything in the garden that I was tempted not to repot my bulbs. Glad that I did though because otherwise I would not have found the dozens of large and small Narcissus fly grubs which had taken up residence. Several of the later flowering daffs completely wiped out. Next year I will have to take a bit more interest in the 'interesting bees' flying around. :(
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »
I'm not convinced that this annual ritual is necessary unless bulbs get overcrowded, which can happen with some crocus. I repot frits about every 3 years and some narcissus at about the same interval. In between times I top-dress the pots with Vitax Q4 & give the plants a regular, dilute liquid feed when in growth. They seem to do reasonably well under this regime. I wonder if anyone has ever made any systematic observations on the supposed benefits of annual repotting?

This is  something Ian has condisered and tested over many years.... this Bulb Log has some of  his thoughts on the matter :

http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2005/210905/log.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »
I'm not convinced that this annual ritual is necessary unless bulbs get overcrowded, which can happen with some crocus. I repot frits about every 3 years and some narcissus at about the same interval. In between times I top-dress the pots with Vitax Q4 & give the plants a regular, dilute liquid feed when in growth. They seem to do reasonably well under this regime. I wonder if anyone has ever made any systematic observations on the supposed benefits of annual repotting?

This is  something Ian has condisered and tested over many years.... this Bulb Log has some of  his thoughts on the matter :

http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2005/210905/log.html

Thanks for the link Maggi.
However, my scepticism about the value of repotting has nothing to do with disturbing the bulbs & everything to do with reducing the magnitude of the 'herculean task'. I find it easier to feed bulbs than to repot  - & by some standards I feed heavily. In response to some other comments, of course I would repot if there are obvious problems with pests or diseases. Otherwise, I try to leave well alone.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 02:17:43 PM »
Ian's researches have suggested that while feeding bulbs inthe same compost can keep them going for a while, in the end they do need  a complete re-pot. It is indeed a fearsomely huge task..... and now one that we stand less and less chance of completing every year.... but we still think that in a perfect world , it would be best to do it!

Ezeiza

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 12:48:05 AM »
While I have not any doubt about Ian's conclusions, our experience is circumscribed to large containers and not to small pots as is the rule in Britain. When in the past we used small pots we had a good number of additional problems and repotting possibly each year was one of them.

It is obvious with critically limited greenhouse space that the method of growing bulbs in small pots will be used forever.

In our case the climate is mild enough to let us grow many hundred of species in containers in the open. A large number of species have been in the same container for 8 years, some even more. If time is available bulbs and corms are dug at the end of the season to see what has happened but repotted in the same mix after some cleaning.

Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
As you say Alberto, you are growing many subjects in large containers and out of doors.... a very different scenario to ours.

PeterT

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:06 PM »
They do better out of doors if one has the time and space to maintain a large collection of small plants that way. Perhaps in a few years my pots will be planted out as a botanical display but untill then its more and more potting each year  :-\ 
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »
.........when I die there will be plenty of intersting things for Roger to plant out on whatever grave I end up with. It will need to have a large area around it. ::)

You certain you're going first Lesley?? ;D

He thinks so. I'm not so sure. If he does, there will be plenty old car parts to be gathered, to place around the grave in a decorative way.

He actually sold one car while I was away in Oz. A bit more of the driveway I can get cleaned up. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
A bit more progress made on the neglected left side, as Frits etc. are started. The space at the end is for Leonticoides Corydalis and Junos. Also the right to show how it's changed in the last month or so.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal