We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus humilis  (Read 2898 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Narcissus humilis
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
I have this on one of my bulb orders this year but I'm confused (again do I hear you say!). According to the catalogue I'm buying from (Wrexham based) this was previously known as Tapeinanthus humilis. So, I would have expected to find it in the RHS Botanical Classification under Section Tapeinanthus but it wasn't there. The only N. humilis I could find was N. humilis Pugsley under Section Pseudonarcissus but it can't be that one? Can someone enlighten my darkness please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Narcissus humilis
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »
David,
Tapeinanthus humilis = Narcissus humilis = Narcissus cavanillesii (valid name)

The section  Tapeinanthus is o k

If you want to know further (older) names: Carregnoa humilis, Carregnoa lutea and Braxireon humile

- from Blanchard: Daffodils
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »
My brain hurts... ???
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:37:22 AM »
The RBG Kew checklist agrees with Gerd - N. cavanillesii is the currently valid name. Kew lists a total of 12 synonyms - rather few by Narcissus standards!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
Many thanks Gerd and Gerry.

I had looked in the index to Blanchard and it wasn't mentioned(not the first time I have found the index in Blanchard to be pretty poor!) and after Gerd's prompting I found it in the List of Specific Names but, of course, these do not have page numbers where the species can be found in the main text(not very helpful!). I should have thought about the Kew Check List (must be getting old!)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:30 AM »
Old David, never.  Like the rest of us you are 'just approaching our prime'. (We are never going to reach it ofcourse otherwise it's downhill all the way) 8)
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:00:50 PM »
I think I must echo Anne...... my brain hurts. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »
.... and I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered. Am I being nieve to think that when it is delivered and it gets watered it might flower ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »
What, your brain???? :o
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »
 ;D ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »
.... and I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered. Am I being nieve to think that when it is delivered and it gets watered it might flower ???

David,
That is among other things (size etc.) dependent on the treatment of the bulb - if it experienced a warm and dry summer rest you can be optimistic!
Good luck!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal