We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather- August 2010  (Read 7785 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Weather- August 2010
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:13:16 PM »
Well, that's got rid of July which presented us in South Devon with 18 rain days. It wasn't as bad as July 2009 which gave us 25. August started badly yesterday with rain for most of the day and Maureen put the heating on late in the afternoon, but today has been fine and warm, but cloudy, and more rain is due to come in tomorrow.

Apart from most of June it has been a depressing summer so far and from information I've seen there is little likelihood of extended periods of high pressure in August. No doubt when the kids go back to school September will be a heat wave!

Friends in the east of England seem to have had much better weather and that comes across reading the Forum. Some plants in the garden seem quite bemused including this Pulsatilla vulgaris that can't believe this is August.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Weather- August 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »
Speaking to my contact at Beeches Nursery in Essex he told me they have had only 2mm of rain this summer. David I think you, me and many others could send him some
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:52:10 PM »
We have had well over 200% average rainfall in Scotland for July! :(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:46:42 PM »
August started well. It's now the 6th and we have had four rainy days. The bald chappie who takes his turn to do the weather forecasts on The Box after the news (the one who sometimes chairs Gardener's Question Time) said last night that apart from Sunday the whole of next week is one to forget. It seems that our wonderful June was as a result of the Jet Stream being well to the north of Great Britain and thus allowing high pressure zones to come in. Now though it lies slap across the middle of us and is allowing all the Atlantic lows in.

Today here it was raining when I got up with a heavy mist down from Dartmoor. I told Maureen that it wouldn't improve until at least 1700 but she didn't believe me. At 1700 the mist lifted the rain lightened and at 1800 it was fine. At 1900 it was raining again. Took a couple of pics through the spare bedroom window. In the gap between the houses across the road from me is a thickly wooded hill side which is one part of the southern escarpment of Dartmoor.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:49:01 PM »
David we now have your mist in Aberdeen :'(

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »
I can see the trees ;D  (through the rain of course :(  )
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:41:02 PM »
sunset about one hour ago
Best wishes
Armin

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
The view must be better round the corner from me. According to the sales blurb for a house that is on the market you can see the Grampians from the front drive! Wow! 100 miles! All I can see is Ben Lomond, Ben Ledi and the Braes of Doune wind farm, when it's not raining!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
Beautiful Armin.

We've had a few drops of rain here but the pond is dry....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 02:22:25 AM »
we haven't had as much rain as david, though  much of june and july were wet--in early july we had nearly the month's average in two days, and it didn't stop there! the last couple of weeks have been drier, so that i've had to water some seed pots; thunderstorm now and a bit of rain, we'll see how much, power has gone off and back on 3 times at least, and it was sounding a bit like hail, hopefully not, suns half out while it rumbles and drips.....

its funny day after day watching the national news and hearing about the endless heatwave covering north america! err--excuse me, not this part of north america! edmonton was talking about a record for the fewest days above 25C in july, and we have been cooler than edmonton! we've had some warm afternoons, but cool to downright nippy at night..
we had some hail a couple of weeks ago--not too big, but a lot of it, and it was so cool that evening, it lasted a full day in some shady spots,lost most of a pot of Corydalis nobilis seedlings--from frost, i think! lots of moderate damage from that one....

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 07:15:06 PM »
If anywhere is unneeded rain please blow it here. We get tired of smoke, sun, hot and dry.  :(

Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
I'm blowing ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 08:59:12 PM »
Originating from Manchester, you might be forgiven for thinking I've had as much rain as I could take in a lifetime, but after 6 weeks or so of temperatures in the 90s, I'll be out dancing with the first decent downpour.
It's 4pm here in Kentucky and the thermometer has just hit 94 degrees (34.4) again. Next week shows we are in for 4 days over 100 (38) with no sign of rain again.
......but then you have to think of Pakistan and those horrendous floods.
We are never satisfied, are we?
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 09:04:56 PM »
It is frightening to think of the terrible floods in Pakistan and the forest fires causing the awful smog in Russia... such extremes are so very destructive.... makes the British hobby of moaning about our weather seem pretty feeble.... :P

Hard to break such a longstanding habit, though....... :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18:03 PM »
Thanks Gail,
had 35 mm rain the last two days. My cistern (7400 liter) is filled up. Snails are very active during nights >:(

Maggi,
the contrasts in the world between floods and droughts are awful.  I have no doubts world climate changes...
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal