We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Placea ornata germination  (Read 2730 times)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
Placea ornata germination
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:38:18 AM »
Floating seeds on water in the refrigerator seems to work quite well for this genus. Several years ago I did this to P. ornata and now I have a dozen healthy plants rearing to go. This year I am doing the same to a different form of P. ornata and the seeds are germinating on the water as we speak - five days later! It would be great to get this plant to flowering size as it is very beautiful and not often seen.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Placea ornata germination
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
I didn't know about this germination aid, Rogan.... delighted to hear it is working...... don't you just love it when a plan comes together!!  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »
What is this plant Rogan? Does it grow in water? (You can save me the trouble of Googling :D)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
Hi Lesley,

Placea is closely related to other South American genera, e.g Rhodophiala, Habranthus, etc. but the flowers are less funnel-shaped and may be white, pinkish or yellowish depending on the species. The main feature which sets them apart is the small purplish "involucral cup" in the centre of the flower from which emerges the stigma and stamens, bringing Narcissus to mind. Try this link for more information and pictures:

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Placea

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »
Thanks Rogan, I shouldn't be so lazy, and do my own looking up! :D It looks very nice and not what one would expect to germinate in/on water. Worth trying with related genera do you think?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:36:26 AM »
Thanks Rogan, I shouldn't be so lazy, and do my own looking up! :D It looks very nice and not what one would expect to germinate in/on water. Worth trying with related genera do you think?
Lesley,
flat seed of Zephyranthes and Habranthus are quite suitable for this method of germination.
Problems occur with seeds going mouldy before they can germinate :( (even with sterilized conatiners and water) and disentangling the roots of the seedlings when transfering to a growing medium.
In the long run it seems just as easy to sow in potting mix! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:36:54 AM »
"It looks very nice and not what one would expect to germinate in/on water"

"In the Fridge" (4'C) - research has shown that this is a requirement for the germination of Placea. The low temperature prevents the rapid growth of fungus spores and I don't leave them floating on water long enough for the roots to become entangled -just the start of germination.

I have used this method quite successfully on other South American Amaryllidaceae too, e.g. Rhodophiala, and also for Primula polyanthus hybrids and Cyclamen species too (these don't float, of course). I fancy the long soak with frequent changes of cold water may leach out any germination inhibitors present in the seedcoat. Tropaeolum and Leucocoryne species also seem to benefit by being treated in this manner.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 03:04:15 PM »
Very interesting Rogan.  Presumably for seeds that don't float the greater oxygen solubility at 4 oC prevents them from 'drowning', or do you keep them in very shallow water? 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 08:39:30 AM »
"or do you keep them in very shallow water?"

1 - 2 cm at most, Ashley. More experimentation is obviously required to prove that this method is advantageous to species other than Placea, or do I just like keeping things in the fridge because it reminds me of cold beer...    :) :D ;D

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »
Here are the results of my "soakings" (Hic!) nearly one month later - also a pot of Barnhaven Polyanthus "Victorian" seedlings by the same method. Germination must be very close to 100%:

JoshY46013

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »
I've never had luck germinating Placea seed, I have some Placea ornata seed now that I'm going to try to germinate this way :)  With flat papery amaryllids I usually have 90% germination using the flotation technique!

Josh

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
"I have some Placea ornata seed now that I'm going to try to germinate this way"

Hi Josh, I'm just curious to know whether you had any success with your Placea seed using the germination method I described above?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal