We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: galanthus reginae-olgae germination  (Read 1077 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
galanthus reginae-olgae germination
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
ok, another one (i have a small stack of seeds to research, luckily i have found good info on most  ;D )
i notice kristl, in her catalogue, notes that G nivalis germinates after 6 months at warm... what about this species?
similar habitat to cyclamen, sounds like? similar strategies?
i'm especially interested in which species will need cold and which wont....

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: galanthus reginae-olgae germination
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
If sown as soon as harvested in Spring, Gal. reginae-olgae should germinate in Autumn of the same year, around the same time as the parent bulbs are start to produce flowers and/or leaves. If fresh, they don't need a cold period. But they do need to be sown fresh and then kept moist during Summer.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:24:37 AM »
If sown as soon as harvested in Spring, Gal. reginae-olgae should germinate in Autumn of the same year, around the same time as the parent bulbs are start to produce flowers and/or leaves. If fresh, they don't need a cold period. But they do need to be sown fresh and then kept moist during Summer.

well, i've just received the seed  ;D so perhaps, soak and sow and see what happens....

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
I've never sown dried galanthus seed, only my own fresh from the pods. Dried seed will generally give slower germination, but I have heard of people getting reasonable early germination as well. Reginae-olgae, coming from generally hotter, dried areas than many other galanthus, may do quite well from dried seed. If you don't get germination this Autumn, you should see seed leaves next Autumn.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
I've never sown dried galanthus seed, only my own fresh from the pods. Dried seed will generally give slower germination, but I have heard of people getting reasonable early germination as well. Reginae-olgae, coming from generally hotter, dried areas than many other galanthus, may do quite well from dried seed. If you don't get germination this Autumn, you should see seed leaves next Autumn.

thanks, martin, i will hang on to the seedpot in any case..i'll let you know what happens, if anything does :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal