We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Whats the best white shading material-fleece maybe??  (Read 2541 times)

newstart

Whats the best white shading material-fleece maybe??
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »
With my greenhouse where the mesh is in place instead of glass for ventilation I wanted to attach shading material over these. Is it best to have a white fabric like the green shading so it lets some air through the little holes. Green fabric apparently restrict light quite badly and white is better- any views on this?

Whats the best thing to buy without restricting air into the greenhouse or will the shading cool down the greenhouse such that the air flow should not be bothered about to much?

Still learning,

David. Many thanks!
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

iann

Re: Whats the best white shading material-fleece maybe??
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:48:56 PM »
Shading materials work by blocking the light and this mostly depends on the density of the weave and of the materials itself, rather than the colour.  Proper shade cloth will be rated by how much light it blocks although I don't know whether this is available where you are.  Often it is black or dark coloured simply for reasons of durability.

What are you growing?  For most alpines I'd think you would want maximum air flow and minimal shading.
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:25:49 PM »
David for many years now we have used old net curtains.  They are easy to attach to the outside with washing pegs and it is a quick way to put up and down your shading.  We have used 'cool glass' but then I find Brian has rubbed most of it off on dull days so we go back to our old net curtains.  Only trouble is we will need some replacements in the future and few people use them these days.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

newstart

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »
My plants seem to burn after being in a 9cm pot after about 3 weeks. It could be as when in the ground outside that if you put in a larger terracotta pot inside they adjust fine(most alpine growers I think do this) . I sell some of mine and give others to friends so it probably means they are loosing some colour in a confined 9cm pot. I could be imagining it though maybe its the natural way. I think net curtains would be good tied to the open ventilation mesh. This curtains may cool down plants but reduce the air in the greenhouse. Again am I right or will net curtains just cool the greenhouse-has anyone figured this?

Its all very interesting hope you don't mind me asking.

David

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 06:51:22 PM »
David for many years now we have used old net curtains.  They are easy to attach to the outside with washing pegs and it is a quick way to put up and down your shading.  We have used 'cool glass' but then I find Brian has rubbed most of it off on dull days so we go back to our old net curtains.  Only trouble is we will need some replacements in the future and few people use them these days.

Bet you find some in Bury market Shelagh!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

newstart

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
I looked on Ebay the net curtains do seem to have little holes in between. Unbelievably cheap if you click on the drop down menu and select 'used items' being sold second hand. Was still a little concerned about the ventilation issue once shading(net curtains is up) as in theory there is less ventilation. Do net curtains let the air through best ? I do think it is a detail worth asking and I appreciate any help given as I am honestly not sure.

Thank you.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 02:18:22 PM »
Why not set up a little experiment in the glasshouse?
Get a few different materials,  old net curtain ( a charity shop will surely have some in you haven't a neighbour or family member with some lurking in a cupboard!)  some green mesh horticultural  netting, some horti-fleece etc and try fixing them in turn to the wire mesh :  put a litte ribbon tied to a stick ( or a child's windmill toy if you can find one) in the glasshouse and see how much it moves or the ribbon flutters in a breeze. If there ids no real breeze to test with, get a hairdryer on an extension cable and make your own breeeze to test how the different materials affect the air flow. It would be an idea to hace a thermometer in the glass house too, to see if one material was better at keeping the heat down.... lots of interesting experiments to be done there, I reckon.... 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »
This sounds like more than GCSE Science Maggi.  I can see eager students accross the world (wide web) sitting outside their greenhouse with the hairdryer on full blast.  I can almost see the men in white coats racing to take them away. :P ;D ;D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
No one ever said a course of study was easy, Shelagh..... ;)

newstart

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 09:19:13 PM »
I will have to test it then. Seems you guys have not tried this. I am assuming larger terrecota pots allow more room to establish with out the need for shade with the majority of alpines. It may be possible to get more ventilation from the lower panes of glass where plants are not put increasing the ventilation. I think with 9 cm pots (tendancy to spoil faster in sun) may need a doubling up of the net curtain to stop scorch-decreasing ventilation. Any further help or view points on these thoughts would be handy if people have time thanks Maggie and co. for your help I may well get a kiddy windmill-A cool plan!-Might be a joke there some where?

David.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »
You could always try putting extra mesh in the lower panes, David and put any plants which you felt were very prone to scorching on the lower level where, presumeably they would get less direct sunlight....?  ???

newstart

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »
Hi yes Maggie I will give it some thought. I am probably getting the net curtains now. Just one quick question to finish up. Will the net curtains become damp and sodden with the weather or are they very good at drying out. I am assuming this has been suggested because they are good at drying out.

Also just another quickie. I am struggling to find net curtains with the right holes in eg 2mm holes for ventilation. Is it feesable to get a very thin piece of wire and make holes. In fact I have what i think is called a 'bradle' for drilling pilot holes after. This would squer holes in the fabric nicely. Also I could make it slightly looser for when the wind blows letting slight gaps of air through each time.

This should finish up. I apologise if the questions are such that I am meant to work it out myself. I feel it makes good discussion when you are new to such methods.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:50:48 PM by newstart »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
Whatever type of net curtains you end up with.... whether the fine all-over mesh type or a more open,"holey" patterned type, I wouldn't  worry.... they will all allow enough passage of air. They will all dry out quickly when wet, too.... it's not a great worry  because they will almost certainly be nylon of some other synthetic material and so really "drip-dry" .

newstart

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
thanks Maggie much appreciated I am not an excellent decision maker so that's very useful. Thanks everyone else to the advice is very useful. I have a lot of green shading left so I may well stick with this now to use it up. The advice in the thread was saying use what ever means-so hopefully this will be good too. If know one replies I will go ahead with the green(its not the really dark stuff).

Hope things are well with everyone and your alpines are growing nicely its been very hot for them.

David

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal