We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alberta Wild Seed  (Read 2180 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Alberta Wild Seed
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
first seeds of the year:
Erigeron compositus, growing in my rock garden, but from wild material, and seed is pure since there are no other erigerons flowering so early (nor any other composites apart from dandelions!)
also seed of a wild Salix with really pretty glaucous leaves; presumed to be a small multi-stemmed tree/large shrub like most local salix.. eaisly prunable as a clumping shrub
pics of both available, will try to get some up here in a few days..

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Alberta Wild Seed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
If you have the right names Cohan, Maggi might like pics for the Seed ID thread.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »
If you have the right names Cohan, Maggi might like pics for the Seed ID thread.

i have no name whatsoever for the salix--there are a number of them here, distinguished i think on rather fine points :(
i hope to get to those, but i expect i will need a special monograph and lots of time on my hands...lol
i wonder if there are still seeds on the erigeron, since i wrote the original message, we had an hour of heavy rain and moderate hail...lol..very windy now, though that plant is not super exposed to wind...

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:30:52 AM »
indeed those erigeron seeds were washed clean off!  :o
luckily there are another half dozen spent flowers to form seeds yet...

arillady

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
Cohan that was a quick turnabout - weather can have that effect on seeds ::)
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:53 PM »
Cohan that was a quick turnabout - weather can have that effect on seeds ::)

i was a little surprised, since i have found seed on local asters etc after much longer times... good strategy for this plant, i suppose--weather like that might get seed off to good new spots in habitat ..i'll see later if it seeds in around the parent, and when the other heads ripen, get out there faster! (i only just spotted these a few hours before...lol)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 01:08:57 AM »
i wont be doing much random seed collecting this year, but can collect for specific requests; please watch my alberta wanderings thread, and picasa albums to see what plants might be available (mostly local rather than things i see in the mountains, but doesn't hurt to ask) and let me know if there is something you find interesting!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
i think someone asked me for Cornus sericea seed last year after it was gone..i have collected a little, and can prob still get more, so let me know if you still want it!
also i sent out some Anemone canadensis seed that i wondered about the liveliness of (not mailed as fast as i should have!) so if anyone didn't get any germination, let me know and i will try to get some more and mail it right away!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
i didn't plan to collect a  lot of seed this year, but ended up with a few things anyway--all wild collected..
Geranium richardsonii..not a lot, since the seeds are a pain to collect, even though the plants are common..
Anemone-i have seed from a site (i have photos, but not in flower) where there were either A multifida (plants with very divided leaves-pulsatilla like) and A cylindrica (less divided leaves, but more than some) or perhaps hybrids.
they plants were very handsome, and look great in seed..i'll try to visit next year to see the flowers
Lonicera dioica
Actaea rubra white berry form
Asters various locals, no names, but descrips available
Antennaria-pulcherrima or similar species--long whitish leaves, tall flower stems
Maianthemum stellatum, maybe trifolium

just a few of what i think are Erigeron caespitosus, Heterotheca villosa, and Gaillardia aristata (pics soon in my alberta thread)
there may be a few other things kicking around, so if you have anything in mind...

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »
besides the above, i have just  a couple of servings each of
Amelanchier alnifolia
Dodecatheon pulchellum
Osmorhiza depauperata

more of
Triglochin maritima

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal