We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wentworth Castle  (Read 4223 times)

Mick McLoughlin

Wentworth Castle
« on: June 18, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
On sunday we went to the recently opened Wentworth castle gardens, the house is owned by The Northern College where Mandy went for a years residential course. She has often told me about the back garden herself and the boys enjoyed for a year, this was the first chance for me to see it.
The gardens are home to National plant collections of over 300 different species Rhododendron, 30 Magnolia and 100 different Camellia x williamsii hybrids. It is very much an ongoing restoration project and will take a number of years to complete.
You may remember the glasshouse conservatory being featured on the restoration programme with Griff Rhys Jones in 2003. The conservatory is still there but only held up by emergency scaffolding.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wentworth Castle
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:24:35 PM »
Nice "digs" for your course, Mandy!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:33:03 PM »
The grounds are undergoing extensive renovation and reorganisation. The tree canopy has had to be cut back and large parts of the collections relocated to more open aspects with increased light levels.
The first picture shows where the trees have had to be cut back, followed by planting of newly layered Rhododendrons.
There is then the Lime tree walk 'Lady Lucy's walk' said to be haunted by the presence of Lady Lucy who died of a broken heart.
Last in this part is the walk up to Stainborough castle, lined with Rhododendron. Never really a castle, just a folly and picnic area.

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:37:17 PM »
Finally a few general shots of the Rhodos. No doubt we shall be returning here on numerous occasions, as the plantings mature, with more detailed pictures.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 07:04:56 PM »
Nice pictures Mick. I remember going there to perform in a play when I was in primary school (well vaguely anyway!)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:23:31 PM »
These are very nice Mick. Wentworth looks more palace-like than castle.
Send me your address privately for the Glad. carmineus which will be a while yet but I won't forget.

David, in that play you weren't wearing a donkey's head by any chance were you? Or an ass's? (Sorry ;D)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »
The nearest I got to Shakespeare was sitting next to Peter Shakespeare at school, and the nearest I got to a donkey was leading in Joseph and Mary in the annual Nativity Play (I really wanted to be a Shepherd). There ended my short, but no less exciting, theatrical career ;D   
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:57:54 PM »
Well done all the same David. Much better than I ever did.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

scatigaz

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »
     I know this thread is around 3 years old but i have to say Wentworth Castle Gardens is now approaching its best. This weekend is the annual Rhododendron festival (Sunday and Monday} I have worked here for just over 3 years now and walking through the gardens just makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. You may think i am bias (probably am) but it is truly a wonderful experience walking through the gardens on a daily basis and watching the changes take place. The azalea garden in particular is an amazing place, taking in the colour and the scent. The rhododendrons, especially in the middle garden is pure paradise and will only get better as we add to the national collection. A truly beautiful and atmospheric place.
gary lee

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
Gary

Visited the castle last week - superb. Thanks for bringing the castle to attention.

Only shame is that I missed the rhododendren show - though there were still some out. I didn't appreciate until I walked around that the gardens held over 200 species (and countless cultivars) many from original collections by the great plant hunters.

I'll post some pictures once I've sorted them out
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Arykana

• cake maker supreme
  • International flower plunderer person
    • Fairy Garden
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »
Mick, thank you for share

scatigaz

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:39:37 PM »
     Frazer,

Very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the castle. Yes we do have over two hundred species and something in the region of almost 350 cultivars. As well as rhododendrons we have around 30 magnolia species and around 100 williamsii camellia hybrids. Look forward to see your pics when you sort them. Many thanks Gary.
gary lee

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »
     Frazer,

Very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the castle. Yes we do have over two hundred species and something in the region of almost 350 cultivars. As well as rhododendrons we have around 30 magnolia species and around 100 williamsii camellia hybrids. Look forward to see your pics when you sort them. Many thanks Gary.

Gary
Photographs posted at http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5682.0

I'll try and get down earlier in the season next year.

Good gardening

Frazer

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal