We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula lessons  (Read 3241 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Primula lessons
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »
For the last four years that I have been growing European Primulas under glass, for the Summer I have put them into covered outdoor frames with my Auriculas. This year though I choose to leave them in the greenhouse (which, in any case, is heavily shaded from the beginning of April) and I have to say that the plants look all the better for it. They haven't lost the amount of leaf they would have lost outside and today I even had to cut off a forming bud and stem. Provided they go through the Winter I should have some really good plants next Spring. Or am I tempting fate??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula lessons
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:26:32 PM »
I would think they will be just fine, David. The heavily shaded greenhouse will have been quite a pleasant home and if they are looking really good then I would give them the same treatment next year, too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Primula lessons
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:32:37 PM »
Fate's there to be tempted David so go for it. You know the old adage - "If it looks good and is growing well, leave it alone." This applies even if the plant is in absolutely the wrong place. Have fun :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal