We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A Quintessentially English Landscape  (Read 1326 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
A Quintessentially English Landscape
« on: June 05, 2010, 09:15:40 PM »
Paid a visit today to one of my favourite gardens at Barrington Court in Somerset. The house and it's garden are about ten miles from the capital city of Somerset, Taunton and are at the south eastern end of an a very low lying area of land known as the Somerset Levels (it was not too far away from the place where King Alfred allegedly burnt the cakes!).

The gardens at Barrington Court (a National Trust property) were originally laid out by Gertrude Jekyll and the house, it's gardens, the village of Barrington and the landscape around them strike me as being quintessentially English and especially so at this time of the year.

The village is largely constructed from a local honey coloured stone called Ham stone that positively shone in the sunlight and the odd thatched cottage really looked to be in place.

The gardens are laid out in a series of "rooms" many enclosed with red brick walls providing shelter, warmth, and a place to tie climbers and fan trained fruit.

Here are some pics, plants were largely unnamed, so regret their absence in the narrative.

The first is a general shot of the landscape looking forward from the front of the house.
The second and third (to the right hand side of the shot above) the village cricket field with match in progress and the score 104 for 4 (this will surely baffle some of the Americans amongst us-are you watching Arnold!!). The quintessentially English game.
The fourth to sixth a couple of Paeonias and a Poppy that took my eye.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:34:48 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: A Quintessentially English Landscape
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:27:23 PM »
...... and more.

Three general shots of the borders. To put them in context: Irises although some were past their best there are a lot of irises throught the garden so always something worth stopping to look at closer. Hemerocallis were in full bloom-yet to flower in my own garden. Rhodos- were just going over. Roses- just coming into flower, another week or so and they will be sensational. Herbaceous stuff-well up but need another week or two to develop.

4: Wisteria a little past it's best but looked good nonetheless.
5: Ceanothus-a plant I've never taken to but full of bees.
6: a sample Hemerocallis (and yes, I have mis-spelled it in my picture file)
7: Clematis 'President'
8/9: just a couple of roses

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:29:45 PM »
.... and to finish a sample of the Irises.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ArnoldT

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:31:27 PM »
I've actually watched my share of cricket matches in Trinidad while on duty for the US Soccer Federation.  We played our Confederation qualifying rounds there. We played many matches on cricket ovals that were converted to football.  Had a Mackeson    or two as well.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »
Well done Arnold we'll have you in a bowler hat and rolled umbrella yet ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Quote -----" the capital city of Somerset, Taunton".

Very interesting Mr Nicholson   ;)

Our oldest daughter Amy and her partner have just moved to Taunton for work and a lifestyle change after the big smoke of London--when i asked her recently how large is the place ,(Taunton),she replied "Aw Dad i don't know --- just a small town". ;D

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
Dave, Taunton is small, population about 60K but then, we're a small country ;D

and added later: I wrongly described Taunton as a city, it's a town but is the administrative centre of Somerset.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:20:50 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »
David, a lovely posting, thanks - I am enjoying everything quintessentially English at the moment and the Roses on the outbuilding in your photo are fabulous together with wonderful borders.  In the New forest the scene is similar with cricket on the green and ponies grazing and, of course, a strawberry cream tea (with clotted cream!)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:48 PM »
Robin, the roses throughout the garden will be much better in a weeks time. Glad you enjoyed the pics but of course I couldn't eat a Devon cream tea in Somerset ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal