We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tree Peonies 2009  (Read 28323 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Re: Tree Peonies 2009
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2009, 12:16:47 AM »
Experiment time. Collected some seed today, and planted them in the ground. I will make sure to keep the soil damp. It will be interesting to see if a leaf shoot appears in the spring or not.

'

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2009, 10:55:38 AM »
Guff sometimes it takes two years to get the leaf with the first going to make a root.
People sometimes play with cold to have the year go quicker but if one sow every year that is not needed.
I have had mixed success with mine but have had slugs damage them at an early age.
Best of luck! You may get a peony border after a couple of years? 8) :o
Keep us posted on Your result.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »
Joakim, it has also taken me two springs to see the leaf shoot above ground if planted outside. A few pages back a couple members say if planted fresh they will have a leaf in the spring. I have always waited until they turned black before planting, so that may be the reason why it takes me two springs. We will see come spring.

I have been starting them indoors, and that does work great 90% germinate. I could use that method now, high heat/moisture, and then plant out in a month. Think I'm going to try 10, after 30 days planted in the ground.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2009, 10:35:35 PM »
Joakim, I'm making some progress on my tree peony hedge. They are spaced 2ft, I suppose 3ft would have been better. I can always dig and move them at some point if it gets too overcrowded. I figured some may not make it anyways, time will tell. Another 50 seedlings to plant........Only room for another 8 seedlings at the top of this bank, so I will have to find some more spots.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »
Guff looking good :o 8)
Do You have them sorted by the colour of the seed parent or will it be a lovely mix?
Be aware that some do get roots that go very deep so be carefull when digging any up.
Where will the rest of the plants end up?
Hope You will show the progress later.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2010, 03:19:40 AM »
Joakim , mixed colors.

I did lose some during the winter. I have more seedlings started to replace them.

Kimjy

« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2010, 12:18:05 AM »
Andre / Guff

Really beautiful - thanks for sharing these. An overnight thunderstorm wrecked the open buds of most of mine but a handful lived on ..

- Lois Elaine Laning (Dbl var. but showing as semi-double after moving - very rare but with one of the best overall foliage / carriage of any of my TPs when in full growth)

- Waucedah Princess (smaller bud also not showing fully double but I think I like it better this way - colour reminds me of a bygone era)

- Zephyrus (fully faded and about to fall  :()

- Hephaestos - think I like this red the best overall for plant and flower (until the next favourite arrives !!)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:22:23 AM by Kimjy »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal