We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 15755 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: World Cup 2010
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »
In July 1957, my school was on holiday in Blanes, in the Costa Brava in Spain.  We made friends with the locals and they challenged us to a football match.  We had trouble making up a team as there were only about 20 males and most of them were rugby players.  At the appointed time we went to the local football pitch which was more like a small stadium.  To our surprise, the place was filled with spectators.  The local lad who had organised the match came out onto the field and told us the joke -  we would be playing Real Madrid.  To avoid the summer heat in Madrid, the team came down to the coast for training.  We had been well and truly setup!  To a mighty cheer, the team came out immaculate in their strips and baseball shoes, playing keepy-up with the football.  I was in a sleeveless cotton shirt, WW11 khaki shorts and a pair of sandshoes, the rest of my team was similarly attired for the beach.
I cannot remember much about the game, except that we were continually kicking off from the centre and losing the ball immediately.  My only claim to fame was putting one of their players off the field.  I went into rugby mode and ran full speed at one of the players who had the ball. He was doing fancy footwork with ball but this was no defence against 13 stones of annoyed youth moving at 20 mph.  I was told later that you could hear the crash of bodies 100 yards away.  He limped of the field, with assistance and I think I learned some interesting colloquial Spanish phrases. I wasn't sent off but a free kick was given.
The referee blew his whistle and called the "teams" together.  We were taken down to the opposing team's goal where they lined up on the field to make an avenue towards their goal..
Their goalie came out of the goal and placed the ball on the penalty spot and walked off the pitch.  Our captain then walked the ball through the goalmouth for a score.  We got mighty cheer from the spectators and as a final act, we were presented with a poron - a goatskin drinking vessel signed by all the members of the team.
This hung up in the school hall for long after I left school.  It was probably the reserve team we played but it was still a memory I will hold for a long, long time.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:21:46 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
I thought it might be interestng to have some details of the areas where the games are to be held. There are ten venues spread about the country. I found the info on a World Cup Website. Here is a pic showing the locations.....
225034-0

Nelspruit
The name of Nelspruit has Dutch origins and means Nel's stream. It is surrounded by the Kruger National Park
Province: Mpumalanga
Altitude: 660m
Geography: Located on a low-lying plateau, known as the Lowveld, in the fertile Crocodile River valley in the north eastern part of South Africa.
Climate: Sub-tropical with temperatures around 23°C during winter and warming up to 29°C during summer.

Lowveld National Botanical Gardens
When exploring Africa, one of the ‘must see' places are the breath-taking vegetation-covered escarpments. And, when you are in Nelspruit one of the places you have to visit are the Lowveld National Botanical Gardens to enjoy the calmness that comes with the river scenery and the spectacular settings of Nelspruit's main tourist attraction place.
The Lowveld National Botanical Gardens are situated at the heart of Mpumalanga. They also have a Visitor's Centre which contains a restaurant, shops and information centre.

Johannesburg (two venues, Soccer City and Ellis Park)
 Johannesburg is also referred to as Jozi, Joburg or Egoli (place of Gold)
Province: Gauteng Province
Altitude: 1753m
Geography: Located on the eastern high-lying plateau in South Africa referred to as the Highveld.
Climate: Dry with winter temperatures ranging from 24°-16°C. Summer is temperate with temperatures exceeding 30°C and afternoon thundershowers.

Polokwane

Polokwane is often described as a vibrant, busy and colourful wonderland in a sea of grasslands, surrounded by scenic mountains.
Name: Polokwane, place of safety
Province: Limpopo
Altitude: 1310m
Geography: 60 kilometers south of the Tropic of Capricorn. The landscape is mainly grassland interspersed with rocky granite hills, referred to as 'koppies' in South African English.
Climate: Tropical climate with winter temperatures 20°- 4° Centigrade and summer temperatures between 28-16° Centigrade.

Lake Funduzi and Thathe Vondo Forest
Locals refer to Lake Funduzi as a place of ‘peace and tranquillity'. And, once you are there, it does not take long before you realise why people from around the area give rave ratings. Lake Funduzi is a magical place that is steeped in Venda mythology and legend. Its condition changes seasonally, but it is always worth the visit from a cultural perspective. From Lake Funduzi you will drive along the very top of the Soutpansberg.
Thathe is an indigenous forest which is sacred to the Venda people. Here look out for forest species such as Chorister Robin-Chat, White-starred Robin, Knysna Turaco, Yellow-streaked Greenbul and Orange Ground-Thrush.

Tshwane/Pretoria
Tshwane/Pretoria's rich and colourful heritage makes the city come alive with a unique blend of new and old.
Province: Gauteng Province
Altitude: 1214m
Geography: Situated between rocky ridges in the north eastern part of the country. The city is in the transitional area between tropical savannah (Bushveld) and the Highveld plateau.
Climate: Dry winters with temperatures averaging 20 °C during the day, dropping to about 5 °C at night. Hot summers with occasional thunderstorms, daytime average temperatures 25 to 30 °C.

National Zoological Gardens of South Africa
The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa is the largest zoo in the country and the only one with national status. The 80 hectare zoo houses 2,586 specimens and is visited by more than 600,000 people annually. It features a reptile park and the largest inland marine aquarium in the country.

Rustenburg
In the heart of the savannah bushveld is the city of Rustenburg, brimming with natural beauty at the foot of the Magaliesburg Mountains.
Name: Rustenburg. The city's name originates from Dutch.
Province: North West
Altitude: 1500m
Geography: Located on the Highveld Plateau with low mountains and grasslands in the north western part of South Africa.
Climate: Rustenburg enjoys a sub-tropical climate with temperatures around 16°C during winter and 31°C during summer. The climate is generally ideal for year round outdoor activities.

Rustenburg Nature Reserve
The Rustenburg Nature Reserve lies at the western end of the Magaliesberg Protected Natural Environment, about 100 km from Pretoria and Johannesburg. Originally established on the farm Rietvallei which once belonged to President Paul Kruger, it has been gradually expanded over the years and now covers some 4500 hectares. The Rustenburg Nature Reserve is dominated by the rocky ridges of the Magaliesberg, with well-wooded ravines on the rugged slopes. A large valley basin and an extensive plateau form an important water catchment area from which the main watercourse flows into a large, reed-filled marsh.

Pilanesburg Nature Resort
The Pilanesberg National Park, which covers some 55,000 hectares, is the fourth largest in southern Africa. The history of Pilanesberg National Park is also unique amongst national parks in South Africa, as its rugged landscape, well-watered valleys and attractive dwelling sites have made it a preferred site for human settlement for thousands of years. Prior to its proclamation as a reserve in 1979, the Pilanesberg National Park Complex was degraded and depleted of indigenous wildlife populations due to fairly intense settlement by commercial farmers.

Mangaung/Bloemfontein
Mangaung/Bloemfontein's open spaces reflect the openness of its people - friendly, warm and quietly dignified.
Province: Free State 
Altitude: 1400m
Geography: The city is located in central South Africa on the Free State Plateau. The landscape is accentuated by grassland plains and low hills.
Climate: Dry winters, from May to August with temperatures around 17° C in the day and reaching -2° C at night. Summer ranges from October to February and city is much warmer, around 30° C during the day and cloud bursts in the afternoon.

Durban
The city's "golden mile", a four kilometre stretch of beaches, restaurants and promenades, holds pride of place in culturally varied Durban.
Province: KwaZulu-Natal
Altitude: 0m
Geography: The city is located on a huge natural lagoon that forms its harbour with a range of hills inland that are the remains of fossilized sand-dunes.
Climate: Sub-tropical, mild and sunny winters, hot and humid summers. Average temperatures are around 16 to 25° C year round.

Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth

Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth has a 40 kilometre stretch of immaculate beaches in a protected bay and is surrounded by game parks
 Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth is nestled in the shelter of Algoa Bay
Province:Eastern Cape
Altitude:0m
Climate:Sub-tropical with winter rainfall. The city has mild temperatures ranging from 20° to 9°C during winter, and 25° to 17°C during summer.

Cape Town
Cape Town, at the foot of iconic Table Mountain, is a cosmopolitan city with beautiful natural surrounds. The city's name is derived from its association with the Cape of Good Hope.
Province: Western Cape
Altitude: 0m
Geography: The city is located on either side of a mountain ridge on the Cape Peninsula and low-lying flat areas at sea level.
Climate: Mediterranean climate with winter rainfall and temperatures around 18°C. Summer time is generally warm with temperatures in the range of 25-27°C.

In South Africa, the Western Cape Province is renowned for being home to some of the finest wine estates in the country. And, it is therefore apt to say that the journey to Cape Town might be described as incomplete if one does not take time to explore and indulge on some good wines and explore the landscape of the places that produces it.

You will gather that the descriptions are rather "tourist board speak" but I hope that I hve added some plant friendly places to show what the area has to offer those footie fans , in between matches!!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
I'll be wearing my SNP T-shirt. ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »
Scotland

Not

Playing

???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »
That must have been an UNreal game Tom. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »
Not enough information Maggi. Where are the list of native plants? :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 10:05:06 PM »

As your team coach, Lesley, I'm expecting you to find that out for me! ;D ;D

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »
Fascinating post Maggi.  8)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 11:54:48 PM »

As your team coach, Lesley, I'm expecting you to find that out for me! ;D ;D

You've got the wrong team Maggi. Talk to Rogan and Calvin.
 ;D

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:58:39 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »
Thanks, Anthony.... :)

Lesley.... I'm hoping to tempt them out....  ;)

Calvin Becker

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 03:18:26 PM »
Unfortunately we are heading into winter here in SA and so not many wild flower prospects available in the summer rainfall regions, especially on the highveld. The veld (grasslands) are quite picturesque though, especially in the late afternoon when the sun shines through the old flower spikes of the grasses. Grasslands are already being burnt around Pietermaritzburg and probably on the highveld too. The plus of this is that it makes game viewing in the game reserves easier!

The Cape is a winter rainfall region (well known fact I'm sure) and so some early bulbs may be in flower (Lachenalia bulbifera). There are usually some fynbos species in flower too (Erica etc), but you will have to brave the weather! Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens in Cape Town should definitely be on any visitors itinerary.

Are any forum members attending the World Cup?

Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Calvin Becker

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
I forgot to mention that many Aloe sp. will probably be in flower during the world cup period. The Aloe ferox along the N3 highway from Johannesburg to Durban are already in bud and should flower soon. Rogan has some great pictures of plants flowering in the Eastern Cape I think.

Aloe greatheadii var. davyana is very common around Pretoria, especially in overgrazed areas, and may also be in flower en masse.

Here is a picture taken in June 2007 of a trout farm near Machododorp (approx 150km closer to Joburg than Nelspruit) just to give a general idea of how the veld will look at this time. The dark green areas are exotic pine plantations used for paper production.

Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 05:37:03 PM »
My goodness, that could be the reservoir on Sheriffmuir above Dunblane! 8)

ArnoldT

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
Lets see, Robben out, Ferdinand out, Ballack out, Mikel out, Essien out, Drogba out ( maybe).

Anyone out there ready to make a trip to South Africa to fill in and do some plant hunting.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Well, I'm out too... got a hamstring injury and torn calf muscle, so no chance of  being match fit..... :-\ :P

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal