We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dactylorhiza for IDing  (Read 3161 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Dactylorhiza for IDing
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »
That I understand. While weeding this year I have found many tiny orchids.

The left spike is brilliant
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

winwen

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »
fredfg,

your pretty photos show exactly why I love this species soooooo much. Each individual plant of these is a really unique masterpiece - "in varietate concordia". A really european plant!
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
Mark if you grow several 'species' then I find it improbable that anybody could be definitive.

Here is a group of self sown plants in my garden last year,too early yet for them this year. They could be anything and I have dozens coming up in pots and cracks all over the garden. I had a collection of several species before the dreaded black death struck and these seedlings have come up over the past several years.There are also wild plants only a few hundred yards away which could also be hybridising with them.
Tony can i ask did you get to the bottom of your black death mystery because my friend FredG had nearly all his Dactylorhiza wiped out one year and we are still scratching our heads over the reason.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
I had a collection of about 10 species which I kept in pots and had perhaps 100 of them. They were multiplying at a great rate each year.I was given a plant of Orchis maderensis which I planted in the garden and a few weeks later it started to turn black from the base and died. Next spring half my plants died as the growing points turned hard and black as if covered with hard tar and just failed to develop. The following spring they were all dead. I tried peeling the black scales of with a razor blade back to the green inner but this did not work.Since then hundreds have germinated all over the garden and seem to grow with no problems.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
can i ask did you get to the bottom of your black death mystery because my friend FredG had nearly all his Dactylorhiza wiped out one year and we are still scratching our heads over the reason.

There is a thread here : http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=566.msg13690#msg13690
 and here is the article referred to in that thread, by Brian and Maureen Wilson, form the Rock Garden  #107 of 2001
click on the link to download it....
* Wilson Dact._diseasearticle.pdf (256.11 kB - downloaded 123 times.)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »
Maggi thanks for reminding me about that article. The problem with my plants though did not relate to this in that it was the over wintering bud that was diseased and not the leaves. Infected plants ( the whole collection over two winters) died as they tried to start into growth in spring. They did not fade away over a period of time as they weakened and in fact had excellent root systems. The first autumn before they died they looked good and promised and exciting spring. The next year I knew what to look for on the remaining plants and looked forward to an unexciting spring.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
Please, Please, Please, someone tell me this isn't what you are talking about :-\
I bought this from e-bay in the Autumn along with D. sambucina which is just showing a blackened tip as it begins to break the surface.

I have numerous Dactylorhiza in the garden!

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
Graham,just do not shoot the messenger-that looks awful. I should try the Wilson's ideas straight away.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 07:16:06 PM »
eeek!  :o  Graham..... quarantine the plant as soon as possible!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »
Graham,just do not shoot the messenger-that looks awful. I should try the Wilson's ideas straight away.
eeek!  :o  Graham..... quarantine the plant as soon as possible!

Thanks to both of you.
Will do!  :'( :'( :'(
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal