We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Two Paris in need of names  (Read 2648 times)

arisaema

Two Paris in need of names
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
Both Chinese, the former I've had for years, the latter came masquerading as a Polygonatum this spring ::)

ETA: The latter is perhaps Paris polyphylla v. chinensis?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:04:26 PM by arisaema »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Two Paris in need of names
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »
Can't help with names but the second one is VERY nice. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:05:29 PM »
Hi,

I'm almost certain that the first Paris (the one with the short reflexed petals) is P. polyphylla var chinensis and the other one is P. lancifolia.

Robin
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

manicbotanic

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
hi any ideas on this one?its about 2 and a quarter feet tall ..purchased via chen yi as paris conquistii.
{not sure of spelling there}the undersides of the leaves have purple blotches.
very good whatever it is.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:42:56 PM by Maggi Young »

manicbotanic

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »
sorry posted same pic twice..will get the hang of it soon!!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:43:06 PM by Maggi Young »

manicbotanic

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »
thankyou maggi not very good with computers...what would we do without you.x

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »
This is indeed Paris cronquistii,an attractive evergreen species with purple markings on the backside of the leaves and a number of stamens three or four times the number of petals. 

Robin 
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »
"I love Paris in the springtime,
I love Paris in the fall....."

Sorry, it's ridiculous the effect of a weight off one's shoulders. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

manicbotanic

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »
i noticed my paris chinensis is sprouting today.{planted last year in srring from crug}
i am a little worried its very early ...?do i put a cloche over it.not alot else is moving here .even snowdrops only just getting going.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 10:21:34 PM »
You're in Cheshire, aren't you ?
There may yet be some nasty weather to come, I see why you are anxious.
I'd put a barn cloche over it.... open sides to the least windy direction... that would give it overhead cover but allow air movement. Not likely to do do much harm unless you get really warm days that force the growth under the cover.... so, to be really safe I'd have the cover off during good days and only on in the night time.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Pascal B

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
i noticed my paris chinensis is sprouting today.{planted last year in srring from crug}
i am a little worried its very early ...?do i put a cloche over it.not alot else is moving here .even snowdrops only just getting going.

No, I don't think they are early, the Taiwanese plants are early risers. I have plants from the same areas as the ones that Crûg sell and mine are coming up too, one I have in the greenhouse is nearly flowering. So no, they are not early for the Taiwanese plants, but yes, they are early for the time of year if you are expecting similar behavior as the Chinese Paris. I am struggling with the same dilemma because that means it is more a pot subject than one for the garden.

manicbotanic

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
thanks maggi i will rig something up just to be safe.it was a fairly tall thing last year so cant wait to see how it performs this year.pascal i was looking for some collection data on the label but there is nothing...
i have chen yi sp305 in a pot which i think is tender .thats about 12inches tall at moment.i only got the rhizome in december and the growing point was dented so its a little deformed but at least its photosynthesising!!!there is a flower bud but not sure its going to develop.when i saw the pic on her website i nearly fell off my chair.

Pascal B

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »
thanks maggi i will rig something up just to be safe.it was a fairly tall thing last year so cant wait to see how it performs this year.pascal i was looking for some collection data on the label but there is nothing...
i have chen yi sp305 in a pot which i think is tender .thats about 12inches tall at moment.i only got the rhizome in december and the growing point was dented so its a little deformed but at least its photosynthesising!!!there is a flower bud but not sure its going to develop.when i saw the pic on her website i nearly fell off my chair.

I don't know the exact location sites Crûg has collected their stock from but I know pretty much where it grows in Taiwan and where they could have collected it, the BSWJ number should reveal if it is from Taiwan or not. They list 2 collected by themselves (with BSWJ-numbers) and 1 not. I have seen it grow at various locations between 1000 meter and 2000 meter altitude where it gets to 1 meter tall when fully mature. I was surprised too how early they came up here at my place as they were in fruit with yellowing leaves back in early October.
S-305 is the hugely expensive 2 meter+ tall one from the border with N Vietnam right? Would be a shame if that is not hardy, such a big plant you would like to have in a border, not in a pot...(a big pot that is with rhizomes weighing upto a kilo).

manicbotanic

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
sadly its the one with no bswj number...
yes thats the one the expensive giant one..i potted it in a largeish pot .but not to big i was scared of it rotting.if it comes to anything i will take a picture.ive had a few paris over the years from chen yi.
which have all mostly done ok..where are you located pascal? you will have to post some pics of them.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal