We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Burren, County Clare, Ireland. May 2010  (Read 5227 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: The Burren, County Clare, Ireland. May 2010
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »
Quote:

"Thanks Paddy, whenever we visit Ireland, I will ask you as a guide 
For a start will study the given links first!"

Ha! Ha! Luit. Does this mean there is a business opportunity for me here? I don't think Tony (our guide on the day and who is dropping in to read this) would be pleased if I cut across his business. I can recommend Tony to any individual or group who want an informed and pleasant guide - and, no, I am not on a retained as his advertiser.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
25 Antennaria dioica. Cat's Foot. Mountain Everlasting
26. 27. Carex flacca. Glaucous Sedge
28.  Potentilla erecta. Tormentil
29. Geranium robertianum. Herb Robert
30. Helianthemum oelandicum. Hoary Rockrose

A nice selection of plants in this section. The Antennaria was not plentiful and not fully open either but interesting to come across it.

This sedge caught my eye on several occasions during the walk. I was unable to name it - a general disinterest in grasses - but our guide, Tony, was able to help out by e-mail during the week after the walk. That's service!

I like Tormentil, Potentilla erecta. It's a nice plant, in my opinion, bright and cheery.

Geranium robertianum is a very common plant all around the country, nothing new there but interesting to see its growth position in the limestone.

The helianthemum was a special one for me, one I had been on the look-out for and was delighted to find it. Then, of course, after finding it once I saw it repeatedly. Still nice, though.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
31 View back to turlough
32 Looking ahead
33 Sanicula europaea. Sanicle
34 They keep wandering off
35 Group shot
36 Gentiana verna. Spring gentian

The view back to the turlough gives an idea of the ground we covered and the type of vegetation we encountered, giving a setting for the plants shown.

Looking ahead - a view in the opposite direction, showing where we are heading.

Sanicula europaea, Sanicle, an interesting plant as it is one of those woodland plants which thrives in the scailps in the limestone pavement. These scailps in the limestone give moisture, shade and shelter - just what these plants receive in a woodland setting.

Group shot: Mary is on the far left, white top and sunglasses. Our guide, Tony, is standing at the front right.

At the top of the hill shown in photograph 32 above there were many patches of Gentiana verna in the grass. Hard to tire of such beauties.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 07:14:30 PM »
A series of views from the top of Mullaghmore. They need no words from me.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
43, 44, 45 Hilltop views showing the limestone pavement with scailps
46 Carex flacca. Glaucous Sedge
47 Orchis mascula. Early Purple Orchid, a white form
48 Antennaria dioica. Cat's Foot. Mountain Everlasting.

Note the ash tree in the foreground on photograph 45, rooted in the scailp and running horizontally along the surface of the limestone.

Time for a break and a coffee!

More photographs to come but later.

Paddy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:34:18 PM by Paddy Tobin »

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »
a fascinating place--would be wonderful to spend a few days wandering there..thanks for sharing this :)
i'll have to revisit this thread when i have more time for more enlarged views..off to work now...

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 08:06:36 AM »
Really fascinating landscape and plants Paddy, quite foreign to me and yet quite familiar - the highlands of Lesotho? Of coure the Lesotho highlands consist entirely of basalt, not limestone. I imagine the limestone of the Burren is derived from an ancient sea bed?

Thanks for taking the time and trouble introducing that beautiful part of the world and its plants to us who are confined to the city most of the time. Do the Polyanthus hybrids we grow in our gardens originate from a cross between P. vulgaris and P. veris?

Lesotho is usually much greener than this photograph implies - this was spring (October) during a punishing drought, so things were looking very dry and desolate - altitude approximately 10,000 ft.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »
Cohan,
After following your "Alberta Wanderings" I am delighted to have something of interest to you. Hope you enjoy the remainder of the photographs which I will post later today.

Rogan,
Again, glad you liked the report as I have enjoyed your South African ramblings. There is certainly a superficial similarity between The Burren and Lesotho. The Burren, as you say, is limestone and an ancient sea bed - in some areas fossil remains were plain to see.

Re the primulas: I think "polyanthus" are derived from P. elatior. The most obvious difference between the primrose (P. vulgaris) and the Cowslip (P. veris) is that on the primrose each flower is carried on its own stalk while on the cowslip a whorl of flowers emanate from one stem.

Glad you liked the photographs. Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
Just a few more... Paddy

49 Geranium sanguineum

50 Taraxacum officinale - amazing to find dandelion doing so well in what appears to be harsh conditions but that is the contradiction of The Burren; it's appearance is very deceptive; it may appear barren but is in fact very fertile ground.

51 Hieracium sp - hawkweeds will provide the next big flush of colour in The Burren as the basal foliage was everywhere. However, identifying hawkweeds is beyond me. I am happy if they stay out of my garden. There will be a hawkweed later with spotted foliage which I hope someone may be able to identify. I know I grew it in the garden for a few years before I became fed up of its rampant habit.

52 Limestone landscape - a particularly good stretch of limestone in this view.

53. 54. Helianthemum  oelandicum. Hoary Rockrose. A little beauty!

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »
Moving towards the end of day 2, walk 2. Paddy

55 A trio of Orchis mascula, one white
56 Potentilla erecta. Tormentil
57. 58. Conopodium majus. Pignut. A woodland plant, found here growing at the edge of hazel scrub.
59. 60. Taxus baccata. Common Yew. Here growing on the side of a limestone cliff above a strip of hazel scrub. It is amazing that this plant has survived the attentions of the local feral goats but, obviously, its position has saved it. It is good to find a mature specimen of yew in the wild.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »
Rushing on towards the end... Paddy

61 66 Conopodium majus. Pignut. A woodland plant growing at the edge of hazel scrub.
62 Ajuga reptans. Commonplace in many of our gardens.
63 Galium odoratum. Woodruff. Growing in broken sunlight under the hazel scrub.
64. 65. Sanicula europaea. Sanicle. Another woodland plant under the hazel scrub

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »
And the very last few. Hope you enjoyed the visit to The Burren. It is worth a visit if you can manage it.   Paddy

67 Potentilla erecta. Tormentil.
68 Alchemilla vulgaris. Lady's Mantle
69 Primula veris. Primrose. One of many good stretches of primrose growing under the hazel scrub.
70 Geranium sanguineum. Bloody Cranesbill. What many people regard as the perfect plant to represent The Burren and so a good one to finish on.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 07:07:53 PM »
Paddy, your walks in the Burren have opened my eyes to a completely different image of the Emerald Isle - what drama in the landscape with virtually no trees but swirls and whirls of ancient rocks, gouged out and worn in an infinite pattern to lead the walker on. The views are outstanding over sheets of blue water and it is amazing to think that all but one of the rivers are subterranean. The flora is simply beautiful, tough yet glorious against the rock and in niches, showing their colours without any frills.  This is a landscape to dream about and hope one day to visit.....thanks to you  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
Cracking set of pictures Paddy, thanks for posting them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:48 PM »
That was very enjoyable, Paddy - thanks for posting it!  It's very nice to see some wild areas from your country.

There will be a hawkweed later with spotted foliage which I hope someone may be able to identify. I know I grew it in the garden for a few years before I became fed up of its rampant habit.
Did I miss the photo of this one?  I was wondering if it might be Hieracium maculatum?  I planted one sold as 'Leopard' years ago - attractive foliage, flowers like sow thistle (which I sure everyone assumed it was) - however, I'm pulling it out this year as it causes me far too much weeding.

That looked like a lovely walking trip.  Thank you for the treat!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:01:03 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal