We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Iris 2010  (Read 42447 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »
I only can say I WANT ALL YOUR IRIS!!  ;D

we wouldn't want to mince words, now, would we!  Ditto!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hristo

Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 06:11:32 AM »
Hard to fault an Iris I say....
Finally attached a name to one of last years unknowns;
Iris lutescens 'Campbellii' have seen it as ssp. campbellii too, anyone know for certain?
Iris suaveolens 'Tumen Valej' our cross between yellow and purple forms of suaveolens, larger flowers similar in size to attica.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 09:52:50 AM »
Great stuff Chris !!
I. lutescens is an excellent blue !  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »
Chris, the Kew Check List shows only two sub species in Iris lutescens (ssp lutescens and ssp subbiflora) it seems 'Campbellii' has been marketed as such and as (wrongly) ssp campbellii.

BY the way I wasn't "having a go" at you on the naming issue. I'm a confirmed lumper, and feel that the only ones who benefit from a proliferation of names are nurserymen. Having said that if more names than are necessary are the key to ensuring that more small nurserymen stay in business then I'm all for it ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hristo

Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »
Cheers Luc!

Hi David, thanks for the naming confirmation, no offence was taken. I too am a lumper ( honest! ), all the plants I have shown ( and some yet to show ) are Iris reichenbachii or Iris suaveolens, I certainly see no need to mess about with ssp. etc. Both species are however very very variable, I honestly don't think this variability is even close to being represented in cultivation.( Dark yellow through to white standards and falls, Dark purple  into blue into violet and rose standards and falls , blue markings on the falls, dark red,green and brown markings on the falls ( sometimes feathered ), and more rarely bicolors.
If you are then in the business of selling plants and wish to identify particular clones for sale how best to approach the issue, numbers are all very well but I suspect that many people respond better to a name. A 'Blue Flag' may be more approachable than CGG&SLC/2008/IR/C1. ;) :D

Latest update, been checking ID keys on SIGNA and the plants I've shown as reichenbachii are infact pumila, I've been working off Flora Bulgarica which only has distance photos and no ID keys.

So for anyone like me who wonders, Iris pumila produces flowers that rise clear of their sheathes, Iris suaveolens produces flowers that flower without rising away from the sheath and has leaves that are distinctly crescent shaped,Iris reichenbachii produces flowers that rise clear of the leaves but carry the flower sheathes about half way up the flowering stem.

David, this miss ID on my part goes to explain the array of colour forms which is normal for pumila but less so for reichenbachii. Orchid ID is much easier!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:42:47 AM by Hristo »
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

arillady

Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »
Chris again all I can say is what a fabulous collection of different forms you have. Thanks too for those key differences in the species too. Do you sell seed at any time?
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
Just checked out your homepage and had my last question answered. Please let us know on this forum when you have seed for sale.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hristo

Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
Hi Pat, no problems, we'll generate a seed list towards the end of summer that will include seed from these 3 species and also attica, aphylla and variegata.

Darkest from of Iris pumila I've currently got, no name for this one, yet......
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:08:36 PM by Hristo »

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 11:54:15 AM »
Darkest from of Iris pumila I've currently got, no name for this one, yet......

Wow Hristo, what a wonderful velvet, rich purple with sky blue beards - a colour combination made in heaven  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Luc Gilgemyn

Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »
Wonderful flower Chris !!!  :o :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »
Chris,

I've clicked on this dark I. pumila a few times and am still amazed at the saturation, beard definition and fine form.  I hope you will be able to sell this one soon  It's a real gem.  Would fit well into my aril x pumila program.  Was this a wild collected clone or from seed?
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
Chris,

your Irisses are wonderful.

Here are two which are flowering here now:

Iris attica
Iris suaveolens
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Hristo

Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
Cheers RR,Luc,Jamie & Wim
Two colour forms of Iris pumila ssp. taurica, these germinated spring 2009, were shaded and kept in growth beyond their normal season and so are flowering now, 1 year on!

Luc Gilgemyn

Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
Well done Chris !
They look great !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »
Congratulations on your alchemy  8)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal