We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodothamnus  (Read 14453 times)

Frans IJsselstijn

sowing Rhodothamnus
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
Hello

I have some seeds from Rhodothamnus chamaecistis.
I like to sow them
Who can tell me the best way to sow Rhodothamnus
Many tanks for the answers.

Kind regards
Frans
in the Netherlands

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhodothamnus
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
As has been mentioned inthis thread, Frans,  most will use a soil with some humus or even pure sphagnum moss , topped with grit for this sort of tiny seed. Sow  on the surface of the grit andwater in well. Keep  moist and watch out for birds pulling out the tiny seedlings as they search in the moss, if the grit does not form a good enough cover. Shady spot, and be prepared for quite a long wait for good sized babies.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »
A few days ago I had a look at my tiny seedlings and found that one has actually grown to the extent it is visible without the pot being picked up and peered at closely. In fact it is perhaps .5 of a cm in diameter and seems to have 3 branches. Of the others, one is apparently gone and the other is small as ever, barely visible. We are now into winter and today I was to go into town to a meeting with my boss but the road out is a steep sheet of ice and the weather people are saying stay at home unless it is an emergency, so I'm doing that.

Frans, growing Rhodothamnus from seed is a very slow process. Mine were sown on grit as Maggi suggests and it seems that maybe within a 5-10 year period I may have a little plant worth calling a plant. I've always found sowing on other than grit, the mosses grow too quickly and the tiny seedlings never are seen above it. Same with rhododendron seed.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Natalia

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »
Here Rhodothamnus chamaetsistus - one of the biggest of my seedlings. Height 2.5 cm Seeds sown in winter 2010/11
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Natalia

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
Possible continuation of this theme will be interesting for Members of the Forum  ...
Photographed after the first severe frosts this year.
Young plant Rhodothamnus chamaetsistus  on a permanent place in my garden. Plant height of 5-7 cm.

Natalia

Natalia

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »
Rhodothamnus chamaecistus on constant place - the beginning of winter 2015/16 was without snow with temperatures of up to -23. Some sprouts have died.

Natalia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »
But still a very good little plant, Natalia.  Progress is slow but steady, is it not?!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Natalia

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2016, 08:39:44 PM »
Yes, Maggie ... I can not say that is growing rapidly - but the slowest growing up the first three years from the date of sowing seeds.
In the garden of my colleague, where a humid microclimate my seedlings grow faster and are is now much larger.
Natalia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal