We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodothamnus  (Read 14877 times)

Frans IJsselstijn

Rhodothamnus
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
Hello everybody

In what kind of soil grows Rhodothamnus chamaecistus
Thanks for the answers

Frans
in the Netherlands

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Rhodothamnus
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:59:35 PM »
Franz  - Here it grows in a trough in acid soil with granite grit.  I would bet in the wild it grows around limestone, maybe in thin acid soil above limestone just to confuse us as do many rhododendrons.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:55:30 AM »
I have half a dozen tiny seedlings from last year's seed exchange. I expect they'll have to be pot or trough plants too as it's far too dry for them in the great outdoors. We had about 25mm of rain here during the last week but when I went to plant bulbs on Thursday, only the top cm of soil was damp. I couldn't believe it. If we have 2.5 cms of rain how can it not penetrate more than 1 cm? It was a little better where I had used "Wettasoil" on some recently planted things.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:58:35 AM »
 Hi, I grow this plant on a raised bed which ihas a good well drained compost with some fine bark amongst it and I also have a plant in a raised peat bed both flower well, I post a picture, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

johnw

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »
Wonderful red bits on that Rhodothamnus Ian.

I should have said acid mix instead of acid soil.  The mix is a bit of soil, peat and bark plus plent of granite grit. Sharp drainage seems to be essential.  However mine is never as lusty looking as Ian's.

johnw

Natalia

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 06:28:08 PM »
Tell how the seeds germinate better hodothamnus chamaecistus - found two different council. In the first case - without stratification for 13-18 ° C in the second - with setting the snow. Which is better?
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

johnw

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:36:08 PM »
Natalia - Most Ericaceae sprout in three weeks when surface sown at 20c.  Mbest to put the pot in a plastic bag in light but not direct sunlight. Move to cooler conditions when sprouted as these high alpine ones don't like warm room conditions especially at night.  Rhodothamnus is certainly one of the crankier subjects but well worth every effort.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:49:40 AM »
I said back in May (above) that I had half a dozen tiny seedlings. I STILL have half a dozen tiny seedlings. They've barely grown at all since then. ??? I might try watering them with something. What?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 02:33:19 AM »
I said back in May (above) that I had half a dozen tiny seedlings. I STILL have half a dozen tiny seedlings. They've barely grown at all since then. ??? I might try watering them with something. What?

Lesley - Slow is okay as long as alive, alive is rare.  Whatever - say 20-20-20 or the like 1/4 or less strength.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 04:15:45 AM »
Thanks John, I'll try that. Yes, the fact that they're still with me has somewhat surprised me, after all this time. We can get a product called Plantmate and another called Rootmate, both based on Trichoderma fungus species. The root one is wonderful for getting little plants to catch into their new places so I might try the plant one on the Rhodothamnus. It's supposed to boost both leaf and root growth in new plantings. They look like fine breakfast cereal and can be watered on or sprinkled in the hole when planting. Worked a treat with tiny seedlings of various quite tricky things into my trough crevices and also when I planted my Diapensia in one trough it never turned a hair but has put on nice new growth and is beginning to drip (slowly) down the shady side.

johnw

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »
Lesley - I just occurred to me that you are approaching autumn.  You wouldn't want to fertilize now would you? Or do you still have plenty of time for another flush and still have time to harden them off?  In any case the Trichoderma  sounds like a good idea given your impressive Diapensia success.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »
The Diapensia is successful only to the extent it is growing well. It hasn't flowered yet in maybe 5 or 6 years. We may not be cold enough.

I HOPE autumn isn't approarching just yet, we've really had only half a dozen days of summer, but yes, it IS on the way. We had 60mm of rain last night and some trees are getting a reddish tinge. The Sorbus species are all in good fruit and it's nippy outside in the mornings, especially this morning, even though yesterday we hit 40degC here. My little V. praestans (12) are getting a red shading too. Are they deciduous? They're about 5cms across now.

You're probably right about fertilizing. I'll water on some Trichoderma and hope things are OK until the spring.

Natalia

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
 John, I thank!! I am familiar with the sowing of Ericaceae, for many years cultivated rhododendrons from seed. But with crops Rhodothamnus chamaecistus I have somehow failed. In past years, sowed the seeds of two Czech collectors - the result - zero.:(
 This year again, sow - I would hope that germinate.

Lesley, I read about your experience, but did not realize at any temperature was sowing to germination. They were on the street or at +20?
Natalia

johnw

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Natalia - Some of the more difficult very high-altitude lepidote species I sow on sterlized coarse peat covered with grit, then sprinkle the seed on top and mist heavily so they wash in between the grit. You could then put outside in a frame and bring indoors a couple of months later.  This will may work with Rhodothamnus.  

I will ask a friend in England re: Rhodothamnus as he has grown many Rhodothamnus and even crossed it with Phyllodoce = Phyllothamnus.

It may take awhile as he has not internet connection.

johnw  - +5c and sunny
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:07:46 PM by johnw »

Natalia

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
John, I'll wait with interest.
 While planted on peat sand three pots, one left at +20, the other exposed in the street, and the third seed handled gibberellins and I will keep it at 0 - +10 ° C:)
Natalia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal