We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: White-flowered Mec quintuplinervia - does it exist?  (Read 2221 times)

arisaema

White-flowered Mec quintuplinervia - does it exist?
« on: April 17, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
Does anyone know if white-flowered forms of Mec quintuplinervia exist, and if they do, where I may get one?

iann

Re: White-flowered Mec quintuplinervia - does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
I've never heard of one.
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »
Hi, we do know of a white flowered form of M. quintuplinervia which was a hybrid with M.  integrefolia made some years ago and I also know of a hybrid with M. sarsonsii. I am not sure if any of these hybrids still survive but I do not know of any.  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

arisaema

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:44:25 AM »
Thank you, Ian! It's actually rather promising as I have a (single) seedling of that cross germinating in the benches, hopefully it will be the result of hybridizing, and not just wind pollination. Will try again this summer using M. integrifolia as a mother in the hopes of getting more viable seeds.

James Cobb

• Meconopsis World - a visual reference
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
There is a report from many years ago of a white M. quintuplinervia in the wild , just as there is with M. punicea. There is an exceptionally beautiful cross with M. intergrifolia (or maybe with Pseudointegrifolia since it was made before the recent split) called M.x Finlayorum. This is perennial and beautiful (image on Meconopsis World website under hybrids) Originally named after the great Mec. growers from Keillour Casstle - the Knox-Finlays. Mike and Polly Stone produced the same thing in the Highlands as Askival Ivory. I suspect though perennial they have faded away. If you have both the parent species this cross is well worth trying again - I intend to. James Cobb
Meconopsis World - a visual reference
http://meconopsisworld.blogspot.co.uk/

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
There is a report from many years ago of a white M. quintuplinervia in the wild , just as there is with M. punicea. There is an exceptionally beautiful cross with M. intergrifolia (or maybe with Pseudointegrifolia since it was made before the recent split) called M.x Finlayorum. This is perennial and beautiful (image on Meconopsis World website under hybrids)

I agree that this hybrid is a stunningly beautiful plant, can I take the liberty of posting the url of the page on James's site for a quick link:
http://www.meconopsisworld.co.uk/M_x_finlayorum_species_M.html
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal