We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Help with Narcisuss ID, please  (Read 1477 times)

johnson

• Johnson with Deerhound - Scottish plant destroyer!
    • Life in the English Cotswolds
Help with Narcisuss ID, please
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:02:54 AM »
I have found a small group of narcissus on the site of an old cottage.  Can anyone assist with identification?  

The flower is star shaped, with twisted, spreading perianth segments.  The corona is funnel shaped, flared and frilled with a crenate rim.
The colour of the perianth is best decribed as ivory (although I know that isn't a recognised colour!) and the corona a deep, golden yellow.  This yellow fades into the perianth and continues down its outer edges.  There is no scent.

Any help much appreciated - it appears to me as if it could be a pre-1900 variety but that may just be wishful thinking!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:21:36 AM by johnson »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Help with Narcisuss ID, please
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:26 AM »
Hello Johnson, welcome to the Forum. I have some narcissus very similar to those you show.... though perhaps the corona is a little more pale..... I have had them for many years, they were from an old  garden of my family.... I have no idea of their name but I do believe them to be at least pre 1914.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

epilobium

• Machapuchare
    • epilobium
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »
Hello Johnson

Welcome  :) have a look at  'White Lady', 'Lucifer' or 'Mrs Langtry' at http://daffseek.org

Martin
Freiburg, South-West Germany

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
Hello Johnson,

welcome to the forum. You unknown Narcissus reminds me of 'Seagull', an old cultivar introduced before 1895...
Best wishes
Armin

johnson

• Johnson with Deerhound - Scottish plant destroyer!
    • Life in the English Cotswolds
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:46:26 PM »
Thank you Martin & Armin.  I think that of all your suggestions, it appears to be most like Lucifer.  Your help is much appreciated.  Any further thoughts from the community will be very welcome.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal