We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gardening Scotland  (Read 9856 times)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Gardening Scotland
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
I have just arrived home from the Gardening Scotland knackered so I will just post a couple of pictures tonight then I am off to bed.
19972-0
My warm congratulations to  Stella and David Rankin of Kevock Gardens in front of their prize winning display.
19974-1
And also well done to SRGC President Ian III of the Christie kind in front of his Gold Medal winning display.
I will try and post more pictures from the show tomorrow.
(It helps if I upload the pictures, I told you I was knackered.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:12:56 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »
Stella also had a moment of glory with the First Minister.
Carol and myself are just home after three days on the club stand talking to millions of people.
Exhausted but already looking forward to next years show :D
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 08:48:44 PM »
Lovely photo, David. Glad you are home safe. Well done for all your volunteer hours... as ever!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 07:44:08 PM »
There is a great report on Gardening Scotland in the 'Articles' section of this web site.
Sandy, I really enjoyed reading this as I have not been able to find any other decent report.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:51:49 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 08:07:01 PM »
Yes, David, another triumph from Sandy...he mentions not being able to "ggogle2 any show reports... well, I was at home all weekend, trying to do just that and I can safely say that ANY news from the show  was few and far between. a couple of newspaper items, stating that the show was taking place, one mention of the First minister visiting, and precious little else. In previous years I have had to contact the show organisers repeatedly to get them to send me a list of award winners to publicise on our website those winners with SRGC connections... you'd think that they would either have got the message and send these details out or, even easier, publish the ruddy list on the Gardening Scotland website... but no, not a dicky bird. I have got fed up of doing their work for them and so did not enquire further to the medal winners apart from ones intimated to me directly. The general publicity surrounding the show is pretty feeble and they do not even have the nous to capitalise on publicity from the best in show winners, can't help feeling the organisers could do better to encourage them ... I am disenchanted with the affair, as you can tell ! :P
I do know that many of the award winners and  most fabulous displays come from stands run by SRGC Members.....well done to them all! :D

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 09:26:20 AM »
In Sandy's report he mentions a powerpoint presentation on the construction of hypertufa troughs. I wondered if this would be available for download at all?
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 10:41:05 AM »
Good question, Mick... I'm sure Sandy will see this, but I'll make sure the point is raised with the 'power-points that be' !!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 07:25:35 PM »
Yes, David, another triumph from Sandy...he mentions not being able to "ggogle2 any show reports... well, I was at home all weekend, trying to do just that and I can safely say that ANY news from the show  was few and far between. a couple of newspaper items, stating that the show was taking place, one mention of the First minister visiting, and precious little else.

Two page Show Report in Amateur Gardening magazine for week commencing 23 June, including:-
paragraphs on- a winning winning show garden made from recycled rubbish including Irn Bru cans!
                     Kevock's alpine display 'wows the judges'
                     Jim McColl's climate change worries
                     Edinburgh Royal Botanic Garden shows off Scottish garden skills
                     a new Astrantia is said to flower all Summer
                     a sunken garden designed by Jasmin and Doug Cann deemed worthy of of the Chelsea Show.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 10:51:47 PM »
Tell me about Irn Bru drink please. The only times I've met the words are in Ian Rankin's books and those of the man who writes the Skinner books. His name escapes me for the moment. Is it something peculiarly Scottish? Incidentally, Ian Rankin is to visit NZ later this year to promote a new Rebus book. I must go and chat him up ;)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 01:43:25 PM »
It's like mother's milk to those of the Scottish persuasion but only when they can't get McKewens Export, no doubt some of them will comment further ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:45:35 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 10:28:12 AM »
That is "McEwan's", David!

Lesley, for Irn Bru, think Lucozade but fizzier and tasting more of rust! It is advertised as being "made from girders"  and suggests that drinking the stuff will do for you what spinach did for Popeye!

David Shaw

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 01:06:11 PM »
It's actually quite acceptable with a fish supper if you don't have a beer to wash it down.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 05:36:08 AM »
It sounds like Retsina only worse. Much worse!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 08:12:09 AM »
Lesley,
It is sweet, sickly, bright orange and a dentists nightmare. It merges well with our healthy diet of mealy pudding suppers and deep fried mars bars. The main reason for drinking it is as a hangover cure, every household has a bottle for hogmany! For the more adventerious amongst us there are Irn Bru toffees and Irn Bru ice cream ( my nephews favorite)
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 11:41:05 AM »
Thank you Susan, I can see now what the appeal is. Utterly delectable :P

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal