We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Pershore Show 7th July  (Read 3368 times)

Martinr

AGS Pershore Show 7th July
« on: July 09, 2007, 07:43:48 PM »
Highlight of the Pershore show was the Farrer Medal won by forum members Brian & Shelagh Smethurst with a fine pan of Stylidium graminifolium. Two pictures attached, both of dubious quality due to the lunchtime celebrations and the poor lighting in the hall giving me a touch of camera shake. Better quality pictures on the AGS site.

Congratulations Brian & Shelagh

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:29:51 AM by Maggi Young »

Martinr

Re: AGS Pershore Show 7th July
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:30:05 PM »
Some more pictures from Pershore
Thymus cilicicus shown by Lee & Julie Martin
Lilium formosanum pricei, various exhibitors
Spigelia marilandica, Joy Bishop
Anagallis tenella Studland, Brian Russ
and Eucomis autumnale ssp amaryllidifolia, Bob & Rranveig Wallis

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »
And finally
Cecilia Coller's medal winning small 6 pan
Rhododendron nakaharae Mariko, Hedi & Jim Hancox
Paul & Gill Ranson's medal winning large 6 pan

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:17:49 PM »
Can we add our heartiest congratulations to Brian and Shelagh on their second Farrer Medal....couldn't have happened to a nicer couple.  Just a shame that Sue dragged me shopping instead of to the show....then again my photos would have been a bit shaky as well due to over consumption at lunch time....
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 12:31:50 AM »
Congratulations, Brian and Shelagh!
Lovely to see an Australian Plant getting a Farrer Medal!
Stylidiums are an amazing genus with species like this from the East coast to fantastic dwarf forms in Western Australia, most of which aren't in cultivation - yet!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 02:15:18 AM »
The Stylidium is very nice. I have trouble convincing myself though that it isn't S. armeria, the tetraploid form which was separated from S. graminifolium a few years back.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 09:38:46 AM »
Well done, Shelagh and Brian!
What a good plant. A lovely summer celebration reason, a Farrer medal, hope you had a drink for us, too?!!

Celia Coller's six pan is a rhapsody in blue, isn't it? Is the white plant, center back, a Petrocosmea? Just shows how a dash of white can highlight the blues so nicely.

I wasn't expecting to see a Rhodo at this time of year, especially an azalea! Where do the Hancox live?

We have Eucomis just coming into leaf in the garden, so that was a surprise too!

Many thanks for sharing , Martin, it's appreciated very much.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »
Many thanks for all your good wishes, I have to say we were thrilled and for Maggi's information Brian was wearing a tie!

Yes Maggi the patch of white was a Petrocsmea but I'm afraid I didn't take a note of which one.

Rob I haven't heard of Stylidium armeria.  Our plant was given us by a fiend (should be friend) quite a few years ago as S. graminifolium. He had grown it from Australian seed. I have managed to germinate seed from ours, and Brian has found a SSS in the pot, but they are the devil to get going. Still we continue to try.

Shelagh
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 02:21:09 PM »
Shelagh,

Armeria's a sort of 'lost' plant - the original collection was made a long time ago but never properly examined. Seems to be almost exclusively coastal, and the flower spike is much better clothed in blooms - a better garden plant. Certainly more imposing than the S. graminifolium forms I grow or have seen here in Tassie.

Key to Tasmanian Stylidium: http://www.utas.edu.au/dicotkey/DicotKey/OTHERS/gStylidium.htm
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal