We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sempervivum and Jovibarba  (Read 55197 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Sempervivum and Jovibarba
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »

luit--cool plantings--is that bed in your garden i don't see any sand..... ;)
Cohan! I'm shocked.... of course there's no sand.... I know Vroni van Delft, she  would never allow sand in the bedroom  ;D ;D

( actually, I don't think that IS Luit's bed!! )
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
Forget the bed and the chair, just look at all those semps.  :o
Its a good job the North Sea is between us.
Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »

luit--cool plantings--is that bed in your garden i don't see any sand..... ;)
Cohan! I'm shocked.... of course there's no sand.... I know Vroni van Delft, she  would never allow sand in the bedroom  ;D ;D

( actually, I don't think that IS Luit's bed!! )

i have a little experience of dutch housekeeping, i believe you! ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »
I do like the chair and bed plantings. ;D We have an old white hospital bed here (don't ask) and I would be thrilled to find a permanent loving home for it many miles away from here. Roger won't let it go to the dump. At one stage he thought it could be usefully converted into a trolley for my nursery but it's too darned heavy apart from anything else. It's fully mobile with wheels and can be raised or lowered. It goes to the first person who will send me a private address. 8)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »
The bed and the Semps were taken this summer in Austria in the nursery of our young friend Christian Kress (Sarastro), who also made a year practice in our former nursery.
Therefore you will not see sandy soil ;D
The bed could have been Dutch because the double beds in Holland used (and still sold here) to be no more than 1.00 m. or 1.20 m. wide ::) ::)
 These are called "twijfelaar" (transl. : doubter ) too wide for one and too narrow for two  ;D ;D ;D    Well understandable when you ever saw pictures of the sometimes very narrow old houses in Amsterdam.

I think I will better not tell you here about our housekeeping  ::) ::) ::)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2010, 11:32:36 PM »
A bed covered with sheets of semps, cushions of jovibarbas and a blanket of plants. Beautiful!  :D :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2010, 02:52:34 AM »

The bed could have been Dutch because the double beds in Holland used (and still sold here) to be no more than 1.00 m. or 1.20 m. wide ::) ::)
 These are called "twijfelaar" (transl. : doubter ) too wide for one and too narrow for two  ;D ;D ;D    Well understandable when you ever saw pictures of the sometimes very narrow old houses in Amsterdam.

I think I will better not tell you here about our housekeeping  ::) ::) ::)

so this is why bicycling is so popular in the netherlands--you have to stay trim enough to get in those beds..anyone who gets too large must emigrate to canada  ;D
although i suppose outside of amsterdam, you are able to eat more ;)

as for the housekeeping--always good to rebel against national stereotypes ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:54:44 AM by cohan »

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
I'm delighted with all those photos of Sempervivum :o :o :D

My little contribution  ;)
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2010, 01:22:11 AM »
I'm delighted with all those photos of Sempervivum :o :o :D

My little contribution  ;)

Hello Cris, thanks for contributing.  Your planting shows what can be done when a clay or ceramic pot breaks, it is still suitable, rustic, and visually appealing as a sempervivum planter, nice :) 

I have a couple very old hypatufa troughs that I made as a teenager (embarrassed to admit, just about 40 years ago), these troughs finally starting to break apart, but portions might be suitable for sempervivum planting vignettes.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2010, 03:12:14 AM »
Following up on a previous posting where I declared my intent to make a semp planter out of an old rusty wheelbarrow, today I worked on this project.  http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5315.msg165794#msg165794

It will "live" in a hollowed out part of a hillside, the whole area to have sod removed (too difficult to mow the steep hillside) and the ground "sculpted" with paths and bermed planting beds.  The first step was to remove sod and excavate soil at the base of the hillside up to 1' (30 cm) deep or more, to lessen the incline somewhat.  The unexcavated edges around it will be broadened, and further rock features and plantings will soften the excavation.  A layer of gravel will eventually be laid around the wheelbarrow setting.

1-2  Sod removed, area excavated, excavated rocks temporarily tossed into wheelbarrow.  Wheelbarrow positioned.
      (note: additional drainage holes were drilled in the metal well of the wheelbarrow)

3-4  Wheelbarrow heaped with sand/loam mix.  The fun part, arrange native stone in pleasing formations and plant pockets.
      (note:  the planter is heavy, but still can be moved.  However, the intent is to leave it in place.)

5-10 Wheelbarrow is planted, and top-dressed with the same rock that was hand-crushed; our native rock crushes easily with a hammer, with eye-protection of course.  I like the fact when crushing the rock, one can purposely make various grades of chippings, large to small, and even some fine particles.  When planting this late in the season, the semps are mostly already hunkered down and ready for winter, and only showing green, so not overly showy at the moment.  Also, there are more pockets that need planting; I was running out of daylight.

When I place the rock, I like mixing rock sizes, and I try to create some noticeable height to the planter (see side view).  I also like to have some rocks extend out and over the planter edge.

There will be no labels in this planter, I created a map instead.  But I will also use a digital photo marked up with plant names as my guide.  Some of the semp plants are ones for which the labels either disappeared or wore off.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:14:02 AM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2010, 09:53:15 AM »
Wow, Mark, what a great idea.
Who owns the copyright  ;D
I also have an old wheelbarrow.... 8)
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
Super project.

I'm a little embarrassed that the two wheelbarrows in constant use here are in much worse condition than the "old" one being retired to this new purpose in McMark's project.  :-\ :-[      No need to drill any holes in ours... they are worn through already!  :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

maggiepie

« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2010, 12:56:07 PM »
Looks fantastic, Mark.
It looks very heavy though, I hope the legs aren't rusty, it looks like they are holding a lot of weight.

Helen Poirier , Australia

TheOnionMan

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2010, 01:21:31 PM »
Looks fantastic, Mark.
It looks very heavy though, I hope the legs aren't rusty, it looks like they are holding a lot of weight.

I tried to "dispose" of this wheelbarrow by disassembling it, but was handily thwarted by fasteners solidly rusted together.  So then I tried my "magic sledgehammer" to beat it into submission, the wheelbarrow was too resilient to be easily pulped, so after sitting there unused in a junk heap for a couple years, getting ever more rusty, I decided to give it a new life after being inspired by creative plantings seen on this forum. :)
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »
And because of the rock placements and the many crevices between rocks, you have a planting area bigger than the barrow itself. I look forward to seeing the barrow when the plants are maturing and lapping over the edges.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal