We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sempervivum and Jovibarba  (Read 54390 times)

Graham Catlow

Re: Sempervivum and Jovibarba
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 01:00:44 PM »
We seem to like Sempervivum ciliosum var. borisii. It is one of my favourites also.
Planted last spring. It sent out lots of stolons hence the large number of small rosettes. I'm not too sure its going to do too well in this situation but will leave it a little longer.
I think its going to flower.
I thought I would add S. 'Lion King' to this thread so it is easily available for those coming new to the thread.

Sempervivum ciliosum var. borisii
Sempervivum 'Lion King'

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »
Cohan - do you have any photos of your S. ciliosum var. borisii?  If you're unsure of the identity, post a photo and we can take a look. :)

Graham -  I really like the way you pot up your semps, your new stratified shale type planting on ciliosum var. borisii should look great in a year or two when it fills out.  You've inspired me to do a new planting, using two yellowish ones, S. 'More Honey', a 1980 Ed Skrocki hybrid that is an orangish-reddish color, and Jovibarba heuffelii 'Gold Bug'.  Need to find some good rocks with lichens.

Good to see Lion King again, here photographed with more light (not in a show hall).
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »
Some semps from here today including an old trough which is in desparate need of an overhaul.

These were collected 20 years ago and now there are so many more interesting ones = self-control until befronted.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 01:48:12 PM »
Maybe you like the link http://www.semper-vivum.de/sempervivum

Armin - Where is this nursery? Is it only online as I can't seem to find a physical address on their site?  I almost put Hauswurz in Google Maps until I came to my senses!

Mark - A sensational pan there and great to see it through the seasons.  Also a good way to house a collection with a group of three that can be easily distinguished.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:26 PM »
http://www.semper-vivum.de/sempervivum is the website of Erwin Geiger in Regensburg  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
Some semps from here today including an old trough which is in desparate need of an overhaul.

These were collected 20 years ago and now there are so many more interesting ones = self-control until befronted.

johnw

John, a FANTASTIC collection there, and nicely planted in large enough pots.  The problem with my collection, when I had it, was that I used small pots, eventually detrimental to the plants and the collection, particularly when those semps with long stolons reach out and root chicks into nearby pots ::)

Have you considered joining Semperholics Anonymous ;D  Thanks for sharing all these.  Your semp trough is beautifully planted too.  I'm getting more inspired by the minute. :D :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:24:27 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

johnw

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 05:30:29 PM »
http://www.semper-vivum.de/sempervivum is the website of Erwin Geiger in Regensburg  :)

Oh no!  We'll be driving right past Regensburg from Munich to Weimar.  Best let Ken drive.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
, and nicely planted in large enough pots.  The problem with my collection, when I had it, was that I used small pots, eventually detrimental to the plants and the collection, particularly when those semps with long stolons reach out and root chicks into nearby pots ::)

Mark - Even with this size pot we have to transplant them every two years which is a nuisance.  They get so jammed they are impossible to water.  Cleaning up the dead leaves is a days job when repotting.  What is puzzling is that they can live for years and look healthy in a hole in the foundation of the house but peter out in pots if not refreshened ever two years. Maybe our mix is to fault, someone said pure loam & grit and no peat.  ???

johnw

Martinr

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »
John, I use John Innes compost plus grit. I never add any peat in the mix (albeit the JI compost will contain a little peat or peat substitute) for three reasons. 1) I don't think they need it, 2) it is more attractive to Vine Weevils and 3) you're less likely to get moss growing in among the rosettes which is almost impossible to get rid of. I find they thrive best in a mix of about 50/50, too little compost/soil and they seem to sulk!

A couple of pictures attached to show the results. The first is S. ciliosum v borisii and the second shows S. ciliosum Pestani, S. calcareum and S arachnoideum.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »
John - rhodo-galantho-etc-phile; you should add in semps also.
These are amazing. I think it would be easy to collect as many as you if only I had the space!
The trough looks great not sure why it needs an overhaul.

And yet another S. ciliosum v borisii, in Martins post. It really is a popular good looking semp.

Vine weevils are a nuisance. There is no sign until the rosette just falls apart or blows away in the wind. I have tried both Provado and Nemasys but still manage to lose them occasionally. Anyone have any other suggestions.

The UK National Collections of Sempervivum, Jovibarba and Rosularia,  can be found at www.fernwood-nursery.co.uk

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

johnw

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 08:16:02 PM »
Martin - Thanks for the tips, I'm going to eliminate the peat as moss is indeed a horror to get rid of but I think it will be still necessary to apply Provado as weevils are usually rampant here.  Having said that a late July application of nematodes for weevils has decreased damage on in ground plants especially Ericaceae.

Graham -  We too are out of space.   The big low trough is running out of steam as the peaty soil is at least 15 years old. In its prime it was chock full of semps between each horizontal sheet of rock. You may spy rhododendron and evergreen azalea seedlings which need to come out.

Dare I look at the Fernwood site?

johnw

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
Armin - darn!  I just lost two hours time looking at each and every Semp hybrid and species on the German Sempervivum site, instead of working outside ;D  Judging from some of the gorgeous colors and forms, Germany is one of the semp hybridization hot spots.  Using Google translate, I'm not sure the translations are very good, so couldn't determine if they ship overseas (outside the EU).  Some of those orange and yellowish tones ones are delectable, as are the sombre dark ones.

Mark,
indeed this Sempervivum pages are fantastic. The nursery delivers also outside of EU countries.  Look at their section AGB (Terms & Conditions) http://www.semper-vivum.de/agb/. They recommend payment via PayPal (see '6. Preise und Bezahlung' (Prices and Payment), 'd)Übrige Länder' (other countries) ;)

Maggi, thanks for the nursery name support! :)

John,
you have a fine collection. The adress is:

Erwin Geiger
Freilandsukkulenten
Hermann-Geib-Str. 41
93053 Regensburg
Deutschland
Telefon: 0049(0)941/38213178

Best wishes
Armin

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »
more nice semps!
john--great collection! but, peat?? anything potted in peat needs to be constantly repotted since the awful stuff turns into mud bricks in no time, hate it! if you want something to lighten the texture, have you tried coir? doesn't break down, or rather, not in any short term.... i don't know about keeping semps in pots long term, though, have never done it..

mark--i have old pics of the plant, and will be taking updates soon, it looks happier this spring than last, quite different winter; i tend not to think about ids for mass market plants, anymore, i just assume they are all muddled garden hybrids/open pollinated etc, and thus not truly namable (i have lots of unnamed haworthia and gasteria, for example),  though i suppose semps might be safer if propagated vegetatively....

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »
Hi Mark,
Unfortunately the S. ciliosum var. galicicum isn't mine, but I wish it was. Gail posted it as being at the London show the previous week.

Graham
The semp. belongs to Cecilia Coller - part of her entry of more than 100 plants to the London Show.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

johnw

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »
more nice semps!
john--great collection! but, peat?? anything potted in peat needs to be constantly repotted since the awful stuff turns into mud bricks in no time,

Cohan  - Here peat mixed with anything organic or soil turns to black soup in time.  We are using coir in mixes for other things but still use some peat but those plants get in the ground rather soon.  Friends in Denmark grow many things in pure peat and as long as they use inorganic fertilizers the peat doesn't break down. They make sure their peat block walls are separated from the lawn or any soil or compost by a barrier of sand.  They grow incredible plants, I was stunned to see their Lewisia tweedyi in the peat walls!

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal