We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 7140 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: April in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 05:06:42 AM »
Thanks Fermi. Nice to see it even if not here. Mine's not up yet though there are a few flowers on O. massoniana.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »
Testudinaria elephantipes, aka Elephant foot, or Turtle shell is a curious plant with the tuber above ground level covered with layers of corky bark, resembling a caudex. Slow-growing. It is a very unusual succulent. Its main feature is a large, corky caudex that grows up to one meter in habitat, resembling an elephant foot (hence the popular name). The caudex looks as if it is segmented into geometric patterns (smaller plants look like tortoises) and looks dead but is actually a living tuber. A plant with a 18" caudex can be 75 years or older, this one is only 30 years old. The plant grows into a vine with attractive heart-shaped leaves and small yellow flowers. Culture is relatively easy. A greenhouse is great, but a windowsill with moderate to full sun works fine, as long as the plant is kept at 65F minimum.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2010, 02:23:28 AM »
What an odd-looking plant, as if related to some kind of knobbly tortoise.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Not much activity or flowering on this forum in our autumn/winter off-season, but will carry on with a few winter flowering Oxalis species.
Oxalis hirta and Oxalis flava are always welcome when there is not much to flower in the garden.
Climate zone 10

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
The first of the autumn snowdrops is in bloom!
Galanthus peshmenii,
215073-0

And Ipheion (Nothoscordum) hirtellum is in flower.
The clump is a little smaller this year as I dug up a few to share with some friends ;D
215075-1

215077-2
I also have a few (dozen) pics from the Ferny Creek Hort. Society's Autumn Show but I think I'll start a new thread for that those!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2010, 11:13:42 AM »
Nerine filifolia has very thin, grassy foliage and small spidery light rose-red flowers, one of the most charming, prolific and best know of the low growing autumn flowering species, and one that is desevedly popular as a border plant.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:16:57 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal