We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Adonis  (Read 7407 times)

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
Adonis
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
The most famous Asian Adonis is Adonis amurense which has yellow flowers early spring. There are some cultivars of this species. There are a few other species which I think is just as exciting and beautiful as amurense.
Adonis ramosa occurs in Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu, Adonis amurensis occurs in Hokkaido, Adonis multiflora occurs in Honshu and Ksyushu and Adonis shikokuensis occurs in Shikoku and Kyushu.
Right now there is flower in my Adonis multiflora. When I bought the plant it had also the name michinoku. Later I found out that the Japanese name is michinoku fukuju-sou and Michinoku is an old name of Northeastern Japan.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Adonis
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
Wow Karl ... and WOW again !  :o :o
A wonderful selection of Adonis !
All are exquisite but Beni nadeshiko is my favourite colour !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:30:22 AM »
Karl,

I had seen them on your site already and they are simply STUNNING!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
I love Adonis amurense but these are out of this world.
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »
The most famous Asian Adonis is Adonis amurense which has yellow flowers early spring. There are some cultivars of this species. There are a few other species which I think is just as exciting and beautiful as amurense.
Adonis ramosa occurs in Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu, Adonis amurensis occurs in Hokkaido, Adonis multiflora occurs in Honshu and Ksyushu and Adonis shikokuensis occurs in Shikoku and Kyushu.
Right now there is flower in my Adonis multiflora. When I bought the plant it had also the name michinoku. Later I found out that the Japanese name is michinoku fukuju-sou and Michinoku is an old name of Northeastern Japan.

Fantastic,
Do you grown them in pots? Or outside?
How is the cultivation and soil requirements?
Thanks in advance
Hendrik

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »
Wonderful pictures Karl, it is so interesting to see the variety of forms, thank you.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

kalle-k.dk

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »
I have only grown a few in pots this winter. In the garden I grow them in a well drained soil composed of sphagnum, humus (old leaves) and fine gravel. I grow them in full sun. I cover them in winter, because it rains a lot in Denmark at winter. I'm not sure that it is necessary because I do not cover my ordinary Adonis amurensis. Some of them I grow in a raised bed and I have good experience with.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02:48 PM »
A great selection. I love the apricot one but am not so sure about the muddles green centred one. :-\
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:13:39 AM »
Karl,

I'll hijack your topic to ask a question about articles which have appeared about Adonis amurensis.

Does anyone have a copy of this article which he or she could scan and mail me:
Nakamura, M. (1964). Adonis amurensis in Japan. The Journal (RHS), 89(3)

And does anyone know if there are other articles or books (not in Japanese ::)) about this species?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Gerry Webster

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »
Karl,

I'll hijack your topic to ask a question about articles which have appeared about Adonis amurensis.

And does anyone know if there are other articles or books (not in Japanese ::)) about this species?

Wim - I have the RHS journal. I can scan the 5 pages & send electronically as JPEGs. It might be a couple of days - my computer is not behaving well at the moment.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 02:21:49 PM »
Karl,

Wim - I have the RHS journal. I can scan the 5 pages & send electronically as JPEGs. It might be a couple of days - my computer is not behaving well at the moment.

Thanks Gerry,

I would appreciate that very much. You can find my e-mail address in my profile.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »

Best article I've come across is Adonis amurensis and its relatives by Fritz Kummert in the AGS Bulletin The Alpine Gardener June 2003 (Vol 71 p. 170-174)
There is also a review of perennial Adonis species by Richard Wilford in the December 2000 Bulletin (Vol. 68 p. 429-434)
I don't find the Bulletin very easy to scan but if you can't get hold of them I'll have a go for you.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »

Best article I've come across is Adonis amurensis and its relatives by Fritz Kummert in the AGS Bulletin The Alpine Gardener June 2003 (Vol 71 p. 170-174)
There is also a review of perennial Adonis species by Richard Wilford in the December 2000 Bulletin (Vol. 68 p. 429-434)
I don't find the Bulletin very easy to scan but if you can't get hold of them I'll have a go for you.

Gail,

many thanks for the references. In the meantime I've found a copy of the articles already.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

wolfgang vorig

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 10:52:25 AM »
Adonis amurensis ?

Wolfgang
wolfgang vorig, sachsen, germany

kalle-k.dk

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 07:47:22 PM »
Wolfgang
wonderful plant. I am sure it is a amurensis perhaps Beni Nadeshiko.

Karl Kristensen
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal