We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Train your dog to find sick snowdrops?  (Read 1790 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Train your dog to find sick snowdrops?
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
Okay, I know it's April 2nd not April 1st but this is almost a serious idea.  Today I lifted some snowdrops that had a certain amount of bulb-rot, stagonospora curtisii perhaps.  I'm pretty sure if I clean up such bulbs (and isolate them to be on the safe side) then most will recover, but equally you might want to dig them up and in order to dispose of such bulbs.  Whilst cleaning the bulbs I couldn't help notice that the rotten parts smelled, well, rotten; an unpleasant and quite strong odour.  I wouldn't be able to detect this smell when the bulbs are in the ground, but it struck me that maybe a dog could and could be trained to hunt for diseased snowdrops.  Unfortunately I don't have a dog, but I offer my idea free of charge for anyone that wants to give it a try.         
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Train your dog to find sick snowdrops?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
all sounds good but while the dog is digging s/he will damage all the bulbs unless s/he is trained to sit and bark when the smell is detected
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:55:42 AM »
Alan, if you haven't got a dog - perhaps you could get and train a truffle searching pig to do the job?   ;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »
That's a cunning plan. John, with just one little flaw.  However, if I got the pig then having truffles as well would be a real bonus!
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal