We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nerine 2010  (Read 12695 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Nerine 2010
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:01:11 AM »
The Nerine season started a few weeks ago here in the Southern hemisphere (in Australia at least!)
The latest to bloom is the bright, cerise Nerine rosea
204077-0

204079-1

Nerine fothergila "Major" started a bit earlier
204081-2

and there are a lot more to follow - not just from me!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Alberto

Re: Nerine 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
What beautiful colours!

Alberto
North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Heinie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
Fermi,

They are all beautiful.

I am so excited about my one Amarcrinum pushing a scape for the first time. I hope to post a photo soon.
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Heinie

Nerine masoniorum
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
I have a pot with Nerine masoniorum plants flowering now

This photo was taken in the green house because the wind was blowing

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:52:49 PM by Heinie »
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Heinie

Nerine filifolia
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Here is a pot with Nerine filifolia flowering now

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Nerine filifolia
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
Such a rippling delight Heine - congratulations  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

anita

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:39 AM »
Fermi,
What's your secret for flowering nerines? I have a number of species but they seem very reluctant to flower with the exception of N. flexuosa alba. I know it's not the lack of summer dry or heat... because that's easy to supply around here. I was told necks above the ground, so I've planted or replanted N. fothergilli Major and Signal Red that way. I've tried supplementing with potash but still I'm lucky to score a scape or two although the leaves are healthy and the bulbs are multiplying. I recall reading on the forum that N. sarnesis or was it bowdenii, doesn't like it if it gets too warm (28C+). I'm wondering if that could potentially be an issue as the N. flexuosa alba which are flowering happily are actually in a spot that benefits from shade during summer afternoons, as that particular spot is shaded by a deciduous tree it gets full sun through to early spring. I've rarely seen Nerines flourishing on the Adelaide Plains although they seem to do well in sunny spots in Adelaide Hills gardens so I'm wondering if perhaps those 40+C days in summer just toast the embryo flowers in the dormant bulbs. Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks Anita
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:37:22 AM »
Fermi,
What's your secret for flowering nerines?
Benign neglect! ;D
But that's only for the "hardy" ones like N. rosea, N. fothergilla "Major", N. undulata/flexuosa. Most of the hybrids seem to be derived from more tender species and they need protection from frost at our place so I grow them in pots which are put under cover during winter, even just shadecloth is usually enough. One problem with growing nerines in Adelaide might be the alkalinity - I've always presumed that they need an acidic soil.
I doubt that the high temperatures are a problem for most nerines as we had those 40oC days the previous year, but I admit that we had better flowering this year after a "milder" summer - which does also mean that they got more rain in the lead-up to the flowering season.
I don't think they like being divided too often - they seem to take a few years to settle down to flower after re-planting/re-potting.
These are just my observations here in our garden but they may have some bearing for yours as the climate is somewhat similar.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

PeterT

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 07:30:51 AM »
I have been trying a few new (to me) species, I dont know N rosea, Bowdenii loves cool summers and grows well in full sun or under trees, In the west of scotland it is used as an edging for gravel drive ways. There it gets cool summers and circa 100 inches of rain, (2 meters) per year, alkalinity is not a problem for bowdenii.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Here in North East Scotland (about 900-1000ml rain per year) Nerine bowdenii is also very popular as a border edging plant... there are a great many town gardens in Aberdeen with borders along their front paths that are stuffed to bursteing with these nerines.... the other most favoured path edging plant is Celmisia, larger hybrids, they grow really well.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »
Lots of them in Devon too. I've failed miserably with them every time I have tried but am trying again this year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:58:16 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

PeterT

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
I bought this as nerine hirsuta a year ago. It has been in flower for at least 4 weeks, obviously hardy as it had no protection other than overhead glass last winter.
Cameron McMaster tells me it is actually Nerine angustifoliaI have a similar plant bought as nerine angustifolia from Ron McBeth just starting to flower as this one is finised. It has more compact florets
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:28:01 AM by PeterT »

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »
Peter,
thanks for posting this - I also got a N.hirsuta and didnīt know what it realy is.
Best wishes,
Renate

PeterT

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 11:04:49 AM »
your welcome Renate, that is why I put the corections here, you put many usefull posts too  :D- thankyou

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
here my small Nerines start with flowers  :D

Nerine masonorum

enjoy
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal