We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Zealand field trips March 2010  (Read 3687 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: New Zealand field trips March 2010
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »
Is the Nertera usually that yellow colour David? I remember seeing it at Tekapo once, the pear-shaped berries were orange I thought. Is this area somowhere up near the Moss Swamp?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »
Lesley,

I would describe the colour in my photo as more orange than yellow. There are two other species of Netera that occur in subalpine regions, Nertera scapanioides with pear-shaped fruit and Nertera depressa with round fruit. The former apparently has reddish orange fruit and the latter orange to red so colour is likely to be quite variable.

As an aside to our Scottish friends, Nertera balforiana is named after Professor I.B. Balfour, keeper of the Edinburgh Botanic Garden.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
Thanks David. I grow N. depressa and the fruit though very numerous are much smaller than N. balfouriana. Must try that some time. I love all those little crawling species with brightly coloured berries.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 06:46:17 AM »
Thanks David. I grow N. depressa and the fruit though very numerous are much smaller than N. balfouriana. Must try that some time. I love all those little crawling species with brightly coloured berries.

something in this group is sold here as a 'houseplant' and they are charming indeed with their orange berries; i doubt they are easy/possible to keep indoors?? and are likely in that category of decorative plant sold as a slightly longer lasting alternative to cut flowers!

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »
Cohan,

Here are two species growing under forest in shaded conditions, Nertera depressa and Nertera villosa. Nertera depressa also grows in more open sites and probably would tolerate growing indoors. Nertera is closely allied to Coprosma; the main difference is that Nertera species are not woody. I have included two species of small Coprosmas  for comparison.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
I have included two species of small Coprosmas  for comparison.

David, those Coprosma species are delightful, the fruits or drupes so tight and nearly enveloped by the mat.  I grew a couple Coprosma species when I lived in the milder Pacific Northwest (near Seattle, Washington), including a montane Hawaiian species collected by Roy Davidson, but this was decades ago.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:48:05 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »
Cohan,

Here are two species growing under forest in shaded conditions, Nertera depressa and Nertera villosa. Nertera depressa also grows in more open sites and probably would tolerate growing indoors. Nertera is closely allied to Coprosma; the main difference is that Nertera species are not woody. I have included two species of small Coprosmas  for comparison.

thanks, david--these are great little plants; shade tolerance is good for indoor plants..i wonder about temperature needs and moisture--the ones i see (sorry, not sure of the species, very tiny with many dozens of berries in a 3-4 inch pot) don't look like they would appreciate warm dry air or dry roots? maybe capillary watering?
next time i see them i will take a closer look..i can't remember now if they sell them here in winter or summer..

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 06:19:55 PM »
I think the species generally seen sold as a house plant is Nertera granadensis
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
Mark,

Was your Hawaiian Coprosma a creeping mat or a shrub? The pictures I found of Coprosma montana from Hawaii showed it to be a shrub with bright red or yellow berries.

Cohan,

Nertera depressa or something very similar is widely distributed (Australia, South Pacific, South Ameria, Hawaii). In view of this distribution different forms are likely to have varying habitat preferences and requirements.

Maggi,

Following on from my previous comment Nertera granadensis  (Mexico, Guatemala) is very similar to Nertera depressa and may or may not be the same species. Allan made a comment to this effect in Vol 1 of the NZ Flora which was published in 1961. Where the commercial plants were originally sourced is anyones guess. May be some one will be able to come up with some more information. New Zealand has about half the worlds known species of Nertera. (about 7) It is the same for Coprosma (about 50) the majority of which are woody shrubs.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 12:11:11 PM »
Mark,

Was your Hawaiian Coprosma a creeping mat or a shrub? The pictures I found of Coprosma montana from Hawaii showed it to be a shrub with bright red or yellow berries.

Hard to quantify, as I remember it, it was a compact woody species, more shrub-like and upright than a mat.  It was treated as a tender plant, grown on a windowsill. It was a Coprosma "sp".
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »
N granadensis looks about right
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nertera_granadensis
as i thought, they mention its not that easy as a houseplant--wanting to be cool without frost, and not too wet, but  not too dry...lol
that link also mentions a trans-continental distribution--south america, new zealand etc

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »
Doug and David,
thank you for another fascinating field trip with so many exciting unknown plants to me :o 8) 8)
I could only read and google ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 08:26:51 PM »
N. depressa, the only one I have, grows in a pot in sun but needs lots of water or it dies off quickly. The seeds germinate freely though.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
Mark,

Hard to quantify, as I remember it, it was a compact woody species, more shrub-like and upright than a mat.  It was treated as a tender plant, grown on a windowsill. It was a Coprosma "sp".

I have been looking on the internet and found another species of Coprosma that may be the plant you grew. It is Coprosma ernodeoides and has black fruit. It is described as prostate with ascending lateral branches that grow up to 20cm. It  looks to be a very distinctive and interesting plant.

We have many Coprosma "sp" here in NZ as the majority of them are small-leaved divaricating shrubs that are difficult to identify and frequently hybridise. I find identifying many of our NZ species a challenge.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal