We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: KENT AGS SHOW MARCH Saturday 20th March 2010  (Read 3696 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: KENT AGS SHOW MARCH Saturday 20th March 2010
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Thank you, David, much appreciated. What a gorgeous set they are and good to know the varieties.
I think I could have guessed the Tenerife and Cumulus, but I'd be stuck on the others. :-[
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
What  a great display of Saxifraga (and other plants) there in Kent! Thanks David and Luc for showing.
Love the mini garden on tufa, but keeping this through a dry summer, means many times of watering and no time for holiday.   ::)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

veteran vet

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 08:11:58 PM »
the troughs like these are kept moist by using a drip supply of water either from a bag with drip attached or some other device. Only a very slow rate is required dripping onto the top of the mound. It is actually quite hard to get a slow enough drip rate as too much water can lead to moss growing in the tufa.  This means that the trough it does not need a lot of looking after so you can have a holiday.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 09:36:36 PM »
A few more.
Large 3pan Saxifrage grown by Cyril Dart (Taunton)
Miniature Garden from David Philbey
Small Sax's
Large 6 pan grown by the Show Secretary all Sax's

I'm sure the Channel Hoppers will have some pictures when they have unloaded there barge of John Innis.
Best Wishes David

Simply wonderful entries the display on the bench goes on and on and I love the Large 6 pan of Sax grown by you David - congratulations and thanks for photographing and reporting on all these to you, Luc and John....what a marvel the miniature garden is too  8)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:41:33 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
the troughs like these are kept moist by using a drip supply of water either from a bag with drip attached or some other device. Only a very slow rate is required dripping onto the top of the mound. It is actually quite hard to get a slow enough drip rate as too much water can lead to moss growing in the tufa.  This means that the trough it does not need a lot of looking after so you can have a holiday.
Thank you for the information George!
Sounds easier than I was thinking.. :-\  :)  The result is very good, that's for sure!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »
Looks like a great show.  That mini garden is just stunning!  Made me drool.....

Before I enlarged it I thought it was a wedding cake! ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 01:20:48 AM »
Love the mini garden on tufa, but keeping this through a dry summer, means many times of watering and no time for holiday.   ::)

You could take it with you Luit. Shallow tray of water on the back seat and sit the tufa in it. Pretend it's a shaggy dog.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »

You could take it with you Luit. Shallow tray of water on the back seat and sit the tufa in it. Pretend it's a shaggy dog.

;D ;D ;D      I love this funny girl!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal