We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: RECORD OF RETICULATE IRIS SPECIES AND FORMS  (Read 2251 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
RECORD OF RETICULATE IRIS SPECIES AND FORMS
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
Contributions are invited. Use you own layout and form of words and, once the thread has settled down (provided that anyone contributes!! ;D ) I will talk to Maggi about how best to organise and maintain the record for posterity.

Iris histrioides

Sources: The Iris by Brian Mathew 1989
             Buried Treasures by Janis Ruksans 2007

Found in central-north Turkey around Amasya at about 1500m on open slopes or in sparse pine woods (Mathew)

Leaves: quadrangular, nearly absent at flowering, with only the tips showing. Later developing to 40-50cm in length and wider than those of most other species. (Mathew)

Flowers: approx. 6-7cm diameter in variable shades of blue and amount of spotting in central area of blades of falls. Ridge: rich yellow. (Mathew)

Distiguishing Features: can be distinguished from Iris reticulata by larger falls and bracts and braceoles that are papery white or only faintly tinged green (in Iris reticulata, green and rather rigid). In Iris histrioides there is a clearly defined sinus between falls and claws (in Iris histrio falls gradually merge with claw) (Ruksans)

Iris histrioidesvar. major
Mathew writes in The Iris "there is confusion over the plant grown as var. major". Seemingly it was first described in 1935 by a Col. Grey in the catalogue of the then Hocker Edge Nursery as having light blue flowers in January. Mathew indicates that this plant was introduced from Turkey by Van Tubergen Ltd. when it was collected in the early 20C near Amasya. In the publication "New Bulbous and Tuberous Rooted Plants" (1947) Van Tubergen's said "We distributed the iris histrioides from Merzifon as Iris histrioides major as there is also an Iris histrioides from Cilicia which produces smaller flowers possessing a more violet shade of colour". Mathew then says "It is clear from this statement that the original major distributed by Van Tubergens and by Gray was fairly typical of the plant which grows at Amasya and was not in fact large flowered, and we know it had pale blue flowers. The smaller flowered plant from Cilicia was probably a form of iris histrio since I have seen no records of iris histrioides from that region at all". Mathew then adds "To confuse matters further in the last 20 years or so a plant with very large, dark violet flowers with almost horizontal falls has been grown as major". The picture below is from Luit van Delft and shows a plant from the Connoisseur's Collection.
[attachtumb=1]

'Lady Beatrix Stanley' (Iris histrioides cultivar) pale blue and heavily spotted on the falls. Said to have originated in Lady Beatrix Stanley's garden as a variant of Iris histrioides var. major. Falls. Violet- Blue 94B shading to 93B around the crest. Standards and styles 93C  (Mathew)

203815-1

'Angel's Tears' (iris histrioides cultivar) silky flax-blue flowers prominently flecked with inky blue. Originated as a seedling from I. histrioides var. major. Falls Violet-Blue 94B shading to 94A Standards and styles 94C (Mathew)

203817-2

Iris histrioidesvar. sophenensis
Was originally described as a variety of Iris reticulata. The original was collected by a Mrs Burnham in 1884 in "hills near Kharput" near Elazig in Turkey. Some later collections had flowers of a more reddish-purple tint than the original. (Mathew)

Flowers: deep violet-blue with little veining or spotting with a yellow ridge on the falls. Segments very narrow compared with I. histrioides or I. reticulata.
Leaves: barely visible at flowering. (Mathew)
The picure is from Luit van Delft of a plant from the Connoisseur's Collection.

203873-3

Mathew refers to other cultivars which may not be in cultivation now:-
'Reine Immaculata'-similar to Lady Beatrix Stanley
a range of Blom's Hybrids varying in the depth of colour
'G P Baker'

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:30:00 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: RECORD OF RETICULATE IRIS SPECIES AND FORMS
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »
I'm looking forward to this one David. Wrong time of year for me but it will be a valuable resource in time.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:46:02 PM »
Just like Thomas did for Crocus chrysanthus and biflorus it would be good to see all Iris reticulata side by side
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »
Great idea David !
This might keep you busy whenever (and if ever..  ::)) you get another rainy day..  ;D ;D
Will try to contribute if I can !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »
Thanks folks. Just back from a couple of days mother-in-law sitting so hope to post some more before the end of the week.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
Poured down all day today so had time to do some more work on Iris histrioides (see top of thread) but still have a bit to do. it's beginning to take some kind of shape (well I think so!) but perhaps provide a reasonable format for me to finish it and proceed with Iris histrio
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
I feel guilty for hoping for more rain in Devon so you can work on this super project, David  :-[
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »
Iris histrioides section is now complete. Next section will be Iris histrio when I have completed researching it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal