We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: vireya rhododendron  (Read 3795 times)

benny

vireya rhododendron
« on: November 24, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »
 ??? Is there anyone that has any experiense of vireyas in northern climate, is it possible? Where can they be bought in europe? I live in Stockholm Sweden!
Benny

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: vireya rhododendron
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 11:20:06 AM »
Glendoick Gardens sell a fairly wide range of species and hybrid Vireya rhododendrons. Most are tender and need glass protection in northern Europe, although they say that a few are hardier and able to take some frost, down to -12 or -15c (and marked as such in their list). Web-site: www.glendoick.com
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 01:57:24 PM »
Martin, you took the words right out of my mouth!
Yes, Benny, I would most certainly recommend Glendoick Gardens, they have a selection of vireyas I would love to grow! I would need to keep them under glass, perhaps with a little extra frost protection as well, here in Aberdeen , two miles form the cold north sea! I have no room, so I can only wish! If you have a conservatory or sun-room attached to your home many of them will grow there  very happily, i would think.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:17:52 AM »
Oh No..... you're telling me there are Vireyas that don't mind frost?  I don't think I needed to know that!! ;D  I love the Vireyas and do have 2 barely holding on in a sheltered position outside in pots.  Maybe there is hope for them yet if I'm lucky.  I never realised that some of them could take cold as well.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal