We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cushions  (Read 28514 times)

Dionysia

Re: Cushions
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2011, 09:28:11 AM »
So sorry to read of your losses Kirsten. I know I'd be devastated in your position. Even in south west England we too had over a week in December of night time temperatures of -10 centigrade and daytime sub zero. All our plants came through unscathed although I did put last years seedlings and rooted cuttings in one of my fridges (not the household fridge!) to protect these from the worst. They have performed better than ever this season and I remain convinced that mature plants are 100% hardy. You have some fantastic plants and a good variety, many of them not commonly available. The Ewesley Delta however is incorrectly identified. It is Ewesley Theta or a different unnamed clone of afghanica x tapetodes. Ewesley Delta is microphylla x freitagii and is very different. There is a good picture of it on page 40 of AGS bulletin 65. Your plant is however as big a Ewesley Theta as you are ever likely to see.
Paul R
Paul
 in Chippenham

Kirsten

• www.alpines.dk
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »
gervandenbeuken link=topic=5196.msg191174#msg191174 date=1299693827
Your plants seems to be in an excellent condition Kirsten. I have also a some problems my Dionysias. It looks like some plants are attacked by some kind of mold.
I have installed two extra fans installed to provide additional air movement. I hope this is a solution.
I hope both you and Lars are feeling well.

Hello Ger, we have the problems about mold too. Actually, I think mold was a major reason for our dead plants. I believe you are right about the need for extra ventilation.

Maggi Young link=topic=5196.msg191186#msg191186 date=1299696704]

Ger,  the photos are from last year......

Maggi: The three first photos are from last year, the rest of the photos are from this year. We had about 80 pots with Dionysias and about 50 survived.

About hardines of Dionysia: I agree with Ger and Paul in Dionysia can stand much cold. Mountains in Iran and Afghanistan are very cold in winter. Our problem in the greenhouse is the moisture in the air. We have fans going constantly to prevent moisture from getting on the leaves. The lower the temperature the more need for ventilation. In connection with the electrical problems this winter were the fans also stopped, which would undoubtedly have been a casual factor to the dead Dionysias.

Dionysia link=topic=5196.msg191293#msg191293 date=1299749291]
You have some fantastic plants and a good variety, many of them not commonly available. The Ewesley Delta however is incorrectly identified. It is Ewesley Theta or a different unnamed clone of afghanica x tapetodes. Ewesley Delta is microphylla x freitagii and is very different. There is a good picture of it on page 40 of AGS bulletin 65. Your plant is however as big a Ewesley Theta as you are ever likely to see.
Paul R

Paul: Thanks for the nice words and thanks for the information about 'Ewesley Delta/Theta' I got the plant 17 years ago from Gothenburg Botanical Garden and might have accidentally changed the name on the label

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:57:18 AM by Maggi Young »
Kirsten Andersen, Denmark http://www.alpines.dk

Kirsten

• www.alpines.dk
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »
I hope that I can figure out the Quote/unquote system next time. :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »
I hope that I can figure out the Quote/unquote system next time. :)

:) Yes, the system for multiple quotes is a little tricky  ::) ::)  I have mended them for you  ;)

I can sympathise with the heartbreak of damage or loss to such wonderful plants of considerable age..... it is any growers' nightmare.

Paul knows better than most how long it takes to nurture a plant to those proportions.... and also the work involved in showing them.  8)

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Dionysia

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »
Hi Kirsten
I think you're right about the ventilation although I actually switched my fans off at the height of the freeze as I did get a bit worried about adding 'wind chill' to the low temperature. The high humidity actually followed the freeze rather than accompanying it. At its worst the unplunged rims of the pots were covered in condensation. This was a problem particularly with those plants where the cushion was close to or on the rim. I think the benefit of adequate top dressing was also evident. I always wipe the glass down in the morning with old towels although only when the glass is wet, not frosted.  I am extremely fastidious (read obsessive) about removing any evidence of botrytis, even down to removing individual leaves on some of the larger species such as viscidula and freitagii. Although the Dionysias didn't suffer a small collection of Ourisias took a real hammering; they're far more prone to botrytis than Dionysias.
Paul
Paul
 in Chippenham

Dionysia

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
Hi Maggi
I've just noticed your kind comments. You're certainly right about the time involved. We've already been to three shows this year and are likely to go to shows on five of the next six Saturdays. At the last two we've taken 40 plants and it's not likely to be many less this week. Preparing and boxing the plants takes ages. For the last 10 years before I retired I worked nights and didn't sleep between Thursday afternoon and Friday night on show weeks and then had to get up at 4am-5am on the Saturday to drive to the show. I actually spent more time in the greenhouses than at work and am very lucky Gill was so tolerant. Even now I am retired I still don't have enough time especially as some of the housework is now my responsibility. 
Paul (taking a break from the ironing!!)
Paul
 in Chippenham

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
Paul, rest assured that the pleasure gained from those seeing your show plants on the bench is huge and I hope would be a boost to your flagging early morning spirits. as if that were not enough, I could also vouch for the fact that any exhibitor turning up at a show with as many plants as you and Gill do makes a Show Secretaries dreams come true..... think of  how happy your are making those hard working Show Secs!!
I wish you were within striking distance of the shows in Scotland with your plants, that's for sure!

You don't fancy a weekend in Aberdeen in May, do you?  :) ;)

Dionysia

« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »
Hi Maggi
Tempting though your suggestion is I think Aberdeen is a step too far although I'm used to driving to Innsbruck in one day. The cost of fuel is becoming diabolical; thank goodness we changed to a diesel in 2009 and now get 50mpg. Unfortunately I think I might struggle to coax any of the Dionysias other than involucrata to keep going into May and I also don't think there would be many suitable classes. Nice thought though but we'll have to content ourselves with our second visit to Blackpool.
Paul
Paul
 in Chippenham

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
Ah well, you'll make Lionel a happy man, at least  8)

Don't write off the prospect of Aberdeen in a late season, though... you'd be delighted how many classes we'd find for you to enter!! ;D ;D

Such a pity that flower power is not sufficient to fuel a vehicle..... :'(

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
Hi Kirsten, I am sorry about your losses. >:( of these lovely plants. I hope you had at least good time with Lars during your travel.
One possibility how to avoid problem with electricity might be to use solar fans. Once I will build new alpine house I plan to use them. They works the same way like our plants require, more light means more output and more air to cool plants.
I attach D. Ewesly Delta from Micheal Kammerlander.
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
Solar fans? That's a great idea, Jiri... in my ignorance I did not know such things existed.

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
It is not so new, but prices of solar panels are dropping. At least in Czech Republic. We had last year boom of solar power station, the highest in Europe, due our stupid government  :o, as they guaranteed very high prices for solar electricity, we have now here around 12000 station. Anyway if you need just to charge fan without need to store electricity for later, you can avoid batteries, so quite simple and green solution.
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

Knud

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
Thank you Thomas, Jiri, and Kirsten for nice pictures of fine plants. Well, Kirsten, the beautiful plants you show are out of my league, so I will leave it at that. It was sad to hear of all the ones you lost, but you certainly have some nice ones left.

Saxifragas do quite well for us here, also outside in the open. They are wonderful in the spring, right up there with the bulbs. The first one to bloom is usually Sax. dinniki, as shown in the picture 1, taken last year. Picture 2 is of the same plant and was taken today, it's budding nicely - never had that many before. I bought this plant at the Dutch rock garden conference in 2005, from the Czech stall, and it has been growing in a shallow 40 cm round pot, along with other treasures, since.

The last picture is of my A4-sized Czech trough. The plants in it are from top left Sax.s 'Pearly Gate', 'Teide', 'Duncan Lowe', 'Macocha', 2nd row: 'Diana', 'Nimbus', 'Moulin Rouge', Sax. burseriana crenulata, 3rd row Draba imbricata (sulks in our climate), 'Leonardo da Vinci', ''Radvan Horny , 'Paul Gaugin'. All plants in this trough were bought during the fantastic tours after the 1st Czech Rock Garden conference in 2007, and most of them from Karel Lang, whose plants you showed, Jiri. They have weathered the two wettest winters on record followed by the two coldest ones. They definitely prefer the wet ones, reflecting perhaps the common Norwegian name for Saxifraga, "sildre", meaning trickle and indicating that you find them where there is a trickle of water running. After last years cold winter three of the plants died, 'Pearly Gate', 'Duncan Lowe', and 'Macocha'. Hopefully this even colder winter will not claim more. By the way, 'Teide' is a thug, but a likeable one.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Kirsten

• www.alpines.dk
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2011, 12:30:33 AM »

gervandenbeuken
I hope both you and Lars are feeling well.
[/quote]

Quote from: Jiri Papousek
Hi Kirsten, I am sorry about your losses. >:( of these lovely plants. I hope you had at least good time with Lars during your travel.
One possibility how to avoid problem with electricity might be to use solar fans. Once I will build new alpine house I plan to use them. They works the same way like our plants require, more light means more output and more air to cool plants.
I attach D. Ewesly Delta from Micheal Kammerlander.

Hi Ger and Jiri
We are both feeling well and had a wonderful holiday in Patagonia in December.

I think that we must consider your idea about solar fans, Jiri. Maybe we will buy some the next time we get to the Check Republic.

gervandenbeuken

• grower of choice cushion plants
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »
Kirsten, good to hear you had a good trip in Patagonia. Where have you been this time?
We forgot to go this year (just kidding) but next year we are going to Mendoza. S. America is addictive is it not?

Jiri, it is not clear for me the difference between an ordinairy fan and a solar fan.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal