We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 'Alpine Lawns'  (Read 3950 times)

NStarkey

'Alpine Lawns'
« on: March 15, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
Hello
I am wondering if anyone can help. I am a RHS horticulture student and am doing a dissertation based on the book -  Alpine Lawns; with some account of the special use of carpeting and crevice plants by Anne Ashberry. Anne Ashberry describes them as a carpet of low-growing hardy plants, which hug the ground and spread freely. I have been trying to find an example in the UK without success and I have been told that it seems to be a dying practice. There are similarities with green roofs, thyme lawns and heather gardens, and not quite the same as an Alpine Meadow, where alpines are amid grasses. Does anyone know anything about them; where I might find one, and why is it a dying practice?
I'd be grateful for any information on this topic, thank you, Nicola

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: 'Alpine Lawns'
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:37:10 PM »
The thyme lawn is probably the best-known example Nicola and perhaps they are just not fashionable nowadays. The crevice garden seems to be the current "in" thing. I can't help you with examples though I am planning one myself but the planning is sometimes months or even years ahead of the reality. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

NStarkey

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »
Thanks Lesley, do you think I should put my question on the Alpine Meadow thread, will more people see it?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »
Nicola, I will move this topic to the same area as the Alpine meadow thread.... we'll see if that helps!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal