We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South American Seed sources  (Read 2640 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: South American Seed sources
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 06:48:03 AM »
i should probably just go ahead and get some GA3, as i will surely have some other things that could use it..though one wonders what the triggers are in nature--natural gibberellins in the soil? some odd combination of temps and moisture? 

Seed that needs GA3 to germinate gets it from soil with humus/leaf mould - one theory is that it is to ensure that if a plant is growing in a rocky place the seed is in a crevice before germinating, thereby having more chance of finding moisture and successful growing situation.  Deno talks about GA3 being essential to Gentiana verna for example, as the seed will only find it and germinate in crevices and not on open rock.  It is of course, possible to germinate G verna and rosulate Violas without artificial use of it, but you are dependent on the composition of your sowing medium, or natural gibberellins finding their way into your pot.  Cohan, I think you might find Deno an interesting read, as he has done the most research (useful to us) on the use of GA3 in germination. 

lori, thanks--i did know kristl was selling GA3 and was going to check there; i have read lots of warnings about the overuse---etiolation as mentioned above, etc.. i would probably only use it for those species where its considered near essential; among others, there's a local lysimachia that kristl mentions has very little germination without it... 

Sorry, Kristl, I didn't realise you sold GA3 when I suggested Hudsons.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: South American Seed sources
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »
Seed that needs GA3 to germinate gets it from soil with humus/leaf mould - one theory is that it is to ensure that if a plant is growing in a rocky place the seed is in a crevice before germinating, thereby having more chance of finding moisture and successful growing situation.  Deno talks about GA3 being essential to Gentiana verna for example, as the seed will only find it and germinate in crevices and not on open rock.  It is of course, possible to germinate G verna and rosulate Violas without artificial use of it, but you are dependent on the composition of your sowing medium, or natural gibberellins finding their way into your pot.  Cohan, I think you might find Deno an interesting read, as he has done the most research (useful to us) on the use of GA3 in germination. 

thanks, diane--that would make sense as a strategy for plants from rocky places...
more interesting for those plants from woody places that need it, since the seeds are unlikely to end up any place without humus..
might be interesting to experiment a bit, as i certainly have plenty of natural leaf mould and other humusy stuff around..of course how much one wants to experiment depends on number and price of seeds  ;D for sure i could experiment with natives.. i don't really use soilless mixes anyway..

deno is on my looong book wish list, but i agree would be a great one, as it comes up all the time..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal