We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Soil from mole hills  (Read 16645 times)

james willis

Re: Soil from mole hills
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
Very droll Mark!
James Willis, 86400, Blanzay, France

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 08:58:34 AM »
To get back to the original point of the thread, Brian swears by molehill soil and we regularly travel with a placcy bag and a trowel.  In fact our microwave is only used for warming milk and sterilising the compost made from their finely textured soil.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:15:03 AM »
...And knowing Brian he will probably have a range of matching moleskin waistcoats, trousers and ties in SRGC colours!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
I bet snowdrop seedlings would love it.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 03:39:41 PM »
I think that it is used in the north as i is possible to cut it off the ground even when the rest is frozen and then thawed inside to have access to soil when it is otherwise frozen. Sometimes at spring the sun can worm the mole hills so that they are not frozen while the rest is, so they can be used directly as soil for whatever I need it to. That is why I use it. This is from my own garden so the soil is probably similar to the rest of the soil.
We do hunt them (with traps) but more so since the voles are here to. I hope the cats will take the latter since they are truly a pest.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

james willis

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
I can see why you would use it Joakim.  What I have been hoping to unravel is just what the soil from a mole hill brings to the party.  When available does it make for a quality ingredient in your compost mix and for free too via a trowel and a plastic carrier bag?  (I can relate to the carrier bag as I collect gravel from the roadside from time to time.)  In a compost does it retain the fine textural quality given it by the mole's front paws or does it quickly revert to its natural state?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »
No moles in Ireland
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »
The soil gets to the normal structure after being mixed in a compost at least the one we use but is more easily mixed than others.
Since many gardens have a better top soil than the underling soil the mole hill is generally from a better fraction so is a bit better than the worst. Getting it from pastures might be a good source of good garden soil since it is good soil there. If one is allowed to take it I do not know.
I am far from a soil expert so this is just how is see it.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
No moles in Ireland

I did not know that. Mind you, plenty of MI5 moles during the Troubles.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

PDJ

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 12:59:24 AM »
No moles in Ireland

The luck of the Irish again.  We can happily export some to Ireland for you.
Paul

West Midlands, England, UK

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
We can happily export some to Ireland for you.

NO THANKS ;D   Accidental or deliberate introduction of bank voles a few decades ago is now causing problems.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:03:11 AM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Sellars

• Mountain Flora
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 03:00:55 PM »
Our soil is heavy clay so even the mole hills in the lawn areas do not produce very good soil.  But they do improve the drainage with their tunnels so we have learned to live with them in the grass.

Moles in the rock garden are another story.  Our rock garden is on a bank and the moles find it very convenient to dispose of their tunnel tailings on a slope.  It is very frustrating when they excavate from below through carefully placed stone mulch.  Mole traps are hopeless in the rock garden and I have tried smoke bombs and all the other paraphernalia.  The only thing that seems to work is to drive rocks deep into the tunnel outlet.  That prevents them using that portal and they seem to then move elsewhere (hopefully the neighbours) rather than drive a new tunnel outlet.

So no moles in Ireland. I guess St Patrick was more diligent than we thought.
David Sellars
On the wet Pacific Coast of British Columbia, Canada

Feature your favourite hikes at:
www.mountainflora.ca
Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MountainFlora/videos

james willis

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »
My thanks to everyone who replied even to those who gave the mole in all its manifestations, nul points.

I shall certainly try soil from mole hills with auriculas and the few snowdrops I have in pots.

More immediately I am raising the level of a small bed in which I want to place some fritillaries and to the mix I am using to do this I am adding material excavated by moles.
Jim Willis

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 08:34:38 PM »
I think you are very wise to do this Jim, if the compost you are using is otherwise soil-less. In my experience some soil in the compost for frits and other liliaceous species, prevents botrytis with which I have a problem in soil-less composts. Not in the compost with soil as an addition though.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
We can happily export some to Ireland for you.

NO THANKS ;D   Accidental or deliberate introduction of bank voles a few decades ago is now causing problems.

Do you mean Arvicola terrestis? This is the most obnoxious rodent i have to cope with (Beavers are strong competitors) Strangly enough they seem to be protected in England.  ???
I explained how to get at them in an earlier posting.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal