We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: digression from thread; photos of the 2010 'drop Gala  (Read 8588 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: digression from thread; photos of the 2010 'drop Gala
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 01:04:58 PM »
barely a mention of a snowdrop   8)

important to have priorities, I promise there'll be plenty of cake  ;D

Exactly what I thought reading all the above... I thought this was about snowdrops ...  ::) ???
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »
Richard, Luc, don't worry, we've seen the photos of how lovely the  Benington Lordship policies are, so we know the 'drops will be fab, it's the cake provision we need to be assured of! ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mavers

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »
Ooooooooo, coffee & walnut ma favorite  ;D
Mike
Somerset, UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
 :P
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 04:14:53 PM »
sorry the thread got hijacked a bit, wasn't my intention  ;)

as this is a year away I wont mention cake again...

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
thanks martin and john, i will take on board what you said, i am glad that we can talk about these things on here as these subjects dont allways get discussed do they.

i did chat to some people on the way around the garden, and at the gala, when near clumps of snowdrops that stood out to me.

i think as we get older we become more confident anyway so i should remind myself of that.

still i think for now and the forseeable future i will be focussing on my breeding work with this addictive genus, and hopefully i will be able to share my results.
The breeding work sounds intriguing. Have you any specific aims?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »
Sounds good - make sure you get the honey fragrance in there too!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2010, 07:34:27 PM »
intresting to hear everyones opinions on this

and its nice to hear from a few younger members as well!

i hear what marks saying about you only have to be on a mailing list to get in, BUT thats not to say you can get into the club within a club if that makes sense? after all you have the elite snowdrop growers that allmost seem like they dont have enough time to talk to the amatues such as myself, im sure thats not the case but thats how it feels, exclusive.

ive not had the best upbringing which has left me with not the best communication skills, so i do tend to keep myself to myself, but that said i am a very polite person and i love to share what i have and if i can help people then i will do so.

im undecided if i will try any other snowdrop events, i do feel the gala has soured the hobby for me a bit

Edit by Maggi: So sorry you feel this way, Rob.....I hope the encouragement of the others here will cheer you up!

Rob, First of all can I say what a pleasure it is to see someone so young with an interest in plants you are a rarity who must be encouraged and treasured. Your experience reminds me of when I first started only a little older than you. I too come from a very modest background, a ghetto almost, not the place where people grow plants that you can't smoke. I struggled to become accepted at first but I stuck with it and grew my plants and because I was quite good at it people suddenly wanted to talk to me. I also showed a willingness to be involved and to help in anyway I could. I found myself on all sorts of commitees, running shows, organising plant sales, even lecturing at one stage and I have not changed one bit, I am what I am take it or leave it. I am now very involved with the Cyclamen society and have served 5 years as show secretary and been invited to take part in 3 expeditions and I am now involved with the research commitee. So stick with it Rob and you will find most people are friendly and genuine, there are a few who are not as in any walk of life but you don't need them, they are not as important as they think they are !. Good luck mate and don,t be put off by one bad experience you will have many better ones, promise. Pat
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:37:27 PM by cycnich »
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal