We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Linnett Farm snowdrops and hellebores  (Read 4376 times)

Basil Smith

Linnett Farm snowdrops and hellebores
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:31:08 PM »
Last year a forum member - possibly Mark Smyth? - drew attention to my nursery at Linnett Farm, Ullingswick, Hereford. The original post included photograps of my plants which led to wider interest and more farm visits. Those who came saw another crop of 7000 young hellebores growing on ready for sale in Feb-April this year, and several have phoned recently asking whether these plants are in flower yet. They also mentioned that other collectors from further afield, including some from mainland Europe and the USA, were planning to visit the farm this season.

The main purpose of this post is to let as many people as possible know that my nursery at Linnett Farm has now been closed and sold, and I have started my second retirement in Kingston upon Thames. There are no bulbs or plants left for sale. All stock plants have been passed on to other fanatics. My final hellebore crop went in one block to Wyevale Nurseries (not the Garden Centre Group of that name), a wholesale grower on 600 acres just outside Hereford. They are at www.wyevalenurseries.co.uk.

I'm really sorry to disappoint so many. Please pass word around to avoid waste journeys to the farm which is now a private residence. My sincere thanks. Basil Smith - still on 07917 787856.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Linnett Farm snowdrops and hellebores
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »
Hello Basil,
 Many thanks for letting us know about this. I'm sure we all wish you well in your second retirement... may it be a long and healthy one!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »
Hello Basil. Yes it was last year. I aslo mention this year the nursery was closed. I hope you stick around.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Basil Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
Maggi
Thanks for your good wishes for my second retirement. Who knows how it will unfold? The first turned itself - almost behind my back - into an over-full time job breeding and raising plants. It started innocently enough with the development, in one small leaky greenhouse, of around a dozen new seed strains of cyclamen coum and c.hederifolium which were distributed around the world. With some dabbling in schizostylis and agapanthus, my breeding work focussed increasing on hellebore hybrids, enthused by Helen Ballard and her passion for these plants. The leaky lean-to gave way to a small nursery complex computer-controlled. Free time - ZERO.
It was immensely satisfying and rewarding - just walking through 5000 young hellebore and seeing a a new form (such as the fluted double) open for the first time. And meeting hundreds of gardeners of all ages, from beginners to unreformable "must haves". But I do intend to be a little more circumspect the second time round !

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »
my breeding work focused increasing on hellebore hybrids, enthused by Helen Ballard and her passion for these plants. ... It was immensely satisfying and rewarding - just walking through 5000 young hellebore and seeing a a new form (such as the fluted double) open for the first time. And meeting hundreds of gardeners of all ages, from beginners to unreformable "must haves". But I do intend to be a little more circumspect the second time round !

Wow, that sounds a fantastic feeling Basil - but I can also see how it could take over your life and all of your free time.  A shame to have to make the decision you did, but completely understandable.   :'(
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Basil Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
Where did G.elwesii Linnett Green Tips come from? I'm asked today by phone. It's a curious - almost comic - story. Mid-1970's newspaper ad: "100 snowdrop bulbs for (nearly nothing)" I order and receive a mess of wet,stinking,rotting bulbs. Complain seeking refund and get a second mess of wet, stinking...I've always felt any plant or bulb should at least be given a chance, so long as their condition doesn't threaten other stock. So without any preparation I stuck them in (as sticky smelly wodges) round a Silver Birch. Nothing came up that year or the next and I forgot them. Years later I returned to find masses of elwesii round the Birch. Seems that, though rotten, they had generated bulbils. How can this be possible - anyone know? Most sources maintain that good hygiene is a prerequisite for success when twin-scaling. Anyway I split them up and moved them to a very dry area where they increased strongly and bloomed well. Then among them I found two of interest, one being named and circulated as 'Linnett Green Tips'.
So - origin unknown, presumably imported after being dug from the wild, as suggested in Bishop et al.

Toft Tops

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »
I first met you at the huge boot sale at the Gloucester Cattle Market site (goodness knows how long ago), bought some hellebores and then visited Linnett Farm and bought some more.  They're still going well too.  Best wishes in any future ventures!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »
Basil 40 of your Hellebores are available to buy at this Saturday's AGS Ulster Group snowdrop day. Wyevale sold a couple of 100 to a local supplier

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:39 PM »
Lucky Ulster Folks, eh!?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:08:03 PM »
Time will tell if they sell.

Basil Smith

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:11 AM »
Thanks, TT - good to hear from you again. Gloucester Cattle Market car boots - that really takes me back.

I vividly recall doing a couple of boots there with loads exclusively of aquilegia, including the Song Bird series, the newer American States series (Cororado, etc), some of the midgets and a couple of versions of the species A. longissima which was a particular favourite of mine. Every plant sold by 11.30. Did you also frequent boots at Worcester on the old County Hall site - before local madarins cruelly shut that down?

I always found selected car boots to be a good way of passing surplus stock on to discriminating gardeners who learn't where unusual plants were traded and looked out my car to arrive. I grew to enjoy them - though the hours were a bit testing for it could mean getting up at 4am. But John Humpries said recently he sets his alarm at 3.40 to be on air in the Today programme at 6am, so some hours are worse! But car boots and galanthophiles, I think, are not a natural combination.

Basil Smith

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
Mark, nice to know that some of my final crop of hellebores will be available this Saturday at the Ulster AGS Group snowdrop day. Checking the Wyevale Nurseries wholesale website I see the number remaining on offer has fallen by about 3000, so there ought to be a few plants available now in different areas.

Rather nervously I just hope Wyevale have managed to care for them properly since August and to present them well. I know they got some images from Sabina Ruber for flyers and printed labels. Their site suggests they are going out as "Linnett Mixed" - although they left me in specific colour groups, including about 40% doubles and anemone centres. Sabina photographed my collection over the last three seasons and has a fairly extensive library of images: www.sabinaruber-photographer.com

Hope the Ulster snowdrop day goes well - wish I were there.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »
Thanks Basil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal