We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alive and kicking!  (Read 3325 times)

arillady

Re: Alive and kicking!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »
Michael all the best for the interview. What a place to work!. I had never ever thought that someone would have their own personal cave with which to garden. I hope that none of your family or friends are involved in the mudslides.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
I saw the mudslides on the news, but didn't hear where they were.  Michael, I hope all is OK with you and yours!?

All the best.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 11:58:04 AM »
Hi!

First of all, I would like to announce that, fortunately the storm was barely noticeable in my zone. I live very near the centre of the city, somewhere midways between it and the suburbs, in a hill (like you saw on the pictures i posted earlier on). On the very bottom of the hill, there is a stream as well, but it never gave any problems to it's surroundings.

My plants are all fine, only the excess of rain might have a bad impact, but since the temperatures are not that cold (19ºC) I think they won't mind having wet feet for a while.

Last Thursday we had dull weather with rain all day (something that the northern people usually call a "Scottish mist") Then Friday was a bright day without a single cloud in the sky. I went down to keep building the greenhouse and i could feel that slight "burning" sensation from the sunrays in my skin, the first time I felt it this year, which means the spring is really about to begin.

Then suddenly, yesterday it was a total nightmare... My sister went out at night and arrived home 8AM in the morning. She said me she came by bus and when she left Funchal the city was untouched, in spite of the rain we had since the 2AM. One hour later, the place she left was like this:

That is supposed to be a Tunnel, and the Disco that she went is just about 20 yards from the tunnel's entrance. The amount of water running towards the sea harbour is unbelievable!

I had other 2 friends that were lucky as well, one is my neighbour next door who went to have his swimming training in the morning, and luckily he managed to go out of the chaos that could be felt in the centre of the city by noon time. It's partially underwater, I barely could even recognize a few parts of it while they shown them on the TV. The streams overflew and dragged away cars, people, trees, boulders, dirt and lots of debris. A few  concrete embankments and walls just succumbed to the water pressure. Later on I heard that a crane felt off and killed 2 people that were witnessing the catastrophe. Many people have this morbid compulsion to transgress the safety measures imposed by the Civil Protection Headquarters, and I believe that a few deaths could be avoided if everybody undertook the orders and stood at home.

A few bridges felt of including the one just in front of Mercado dos Lavradores.

The Infante Roundabout pictured above with it's famous water fountains and armillary sphere is also at risk, as it's foundations were badly damaged by the water channel that passes underground, just bellow it. I have not been there yet, but i heard that the water pressure was so high that the road asphalt cracked and a part of it rose up. It's very saddening to hear that this estimated ancient landmark is at risk of collapsing.

Here you can watch a terrifying video where the water channel that passes just next to the university campus is shown. The amount of water running down from the hills is just overwhelming! That ditch has 25 yards of dept!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8526288.stm

I also believe that many of the Bougainvillea that were ornamenting all water channels on the city

are no more, and that they were responsible for clogging up the undergrounds and making the water overrun the channels to the roads. But I'm not worried cause they sprout rampantly from their old rootstock ;)

We had a similar event that happened on October 1993, and the city was repaired in a blink of an eye, so hopefully this time it will take even less time.

Lastly I would thank for the support PM's and emails many of you sent me, even yesterday the phone did not stop ringing as my family in Australia, South Africa and Venezuela were worried about us as well.

Now today its sunny again, and no clouds in the sky, a delusive day to what happened yesterday. But i shall continue with my project ;)

Regards!
Michael
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:06:05 PM by Michael »
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 02:05:49 PM »
So glad to see that you are "alive and kicking" after that awful rain. And the best of luck for Kew!!

um grande abraço

Chloë
(accepted an offer for my flat in Kew this week ... which means I can start hoping to have a real Portuguese garden in the near-ish future ...)
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
Glad to hear you are OK Michael.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
Michael - Good to hear you are safe and sound.   What an tragedy.

A friend in Denmark is so fed up with the winter that he & his wife booked a trip to Madeira for March 1.  They haven't been able to landscappe or even see their plants for weeks. 

I hope life for you will be back to normal in short order.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 06:22:11 PM »
Glad to hear you are OK Michael.

Hows is the Musa Siam Ruby doing?  Any chance of a photo?

See you in a few weeks.

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »
Michael,

We have been thinking of you over the last days and hoping all was well with you so delighted that you have posted and that all is well with you and your family.

All the best, Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
Thanks for letting us know you're OK, Michael.  I hope it is all repaired "in the blink of an eye" again this time.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
Good news all is ok with you Michael !!  :D :D
Thanks for letting us know !
Hope things turn for the better real soon !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal